Need Help! - X/Y motors all of a sudden chattering/struggling under no load

More
29 Aug 2023 06:17 - 29 Aug 2023 06:19 #279259 by besriworld
Does this happen with all drivers? Have you tried turning off the drivers one by one and see if the problem persists? I think that if the motor works on one phase, it will not rotate. This should be a step / direction problem. Running the machine with a parallel port? Check the power supply to the board. Maybe when all the axis are rotating, there low power supply - bad connection
Last edit: 29 Aug 2023 06:19 by besriworld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sray69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2023 16:54 #279298 by Sray69

Does this happen with all drivers?

I know it happens with the X and the two Y drivers/motors. I am not sure about the Z because it is really hard to see with such slow/small movements. But I assume it is probably having the same issue.

Running the machine with a parallel port? 

No. I am running an ethernet cable to a Mesa board.

More
29 Aug 2023 17:16 #279300 by tommylight

More
29 Aug 2023 20:49 #279315 by smc.collins
By backdriving, I mean did someone force the table to move with the motors attached to the driver with the drivers un powered.

check your RMS on A-A+ and compare to B-B+ so if that nets anything.

Tommys suggestion to check accelerations is a good suggestion as well.

More
29 Aug 2023 21:31 #279322 by besriworld
I'm watching the video. Is the problem at 19-22 seconds?
The speed seems too low to be a problem in acceleration. What do you have for DIRSETUP DIRHOLD STEPLEN STEPSPACE
But the configuration worked... must be a wiring problem .Check for bad contact. Is the power supply one for all drivers?

More
29 Aug 2023 21:42 #279323 by Sray69

I'm watching the video. Is the problem at 19-22 seconds?

Actually the problems is constant throughout the video. The sound fluctuates up and down and gets very concerning at times. 

The speed seems too low to be a problem in acceleration. What do you have for DIRSETUP DIRHOLD STEPLEN STEPSPACE
But the configuration worked... must be a wiring problem .

I agree. This happens at ALL speeds and is constant. And yes it was working great before this started. The only thing I did different before this started was flipping the breaker off in the shop. I have no idea how or why that would cause this but that is all I can think of. Oh wait. I also added G61 to the beginning of my g-code for the first time ever right when this started, but I do not think that could be the cause. I took that out of my code and retested and the problem was still there. I will check all the things you guys mentioned and report back.

Check for bad contact. Is the power supply one for all drivers?

I have one PS for my drivers and one PS for my Mesa board. 

More
30 Aug 2023 01:23 #279331 by smc.collins
were the drives operating when the breaker was shut off ?

More
30 Aug 2023 02:14 #279336 by Sray69

were the drives operating when the breaker was shut off ?

No the machine had been shutdown for quite some time before shutting off the breaker.

More
30 Aug 2023 02:29 #279338 by Sray69
OK so I have an update on this. The machine is back to normal and running great. This morning I reset the breaker and made sure it was seated and that it was a solid click when I flipped it OFF and back ON.

I then proceeded to check all the wiring in the CNC cabinet to be sure everything is seated well and tight. There were no wires loose at all. I then fired on the cabinet and LCNC. I checked the leads from the PS to the Drivers as recommended and they came in at .0068 volts at both ends. I then proceeded to run a test job so I could check things while it was running a job. I noticed right away that it was running normal again. I went ahead and checked the same leads while it was running and they came in at .0063 volts.

Based on everything I know and have done I feel like the problem is the 30A breaker in my shop sub-panel. Everything leads to it. I guess it is a good thing I had new one delivered today.

I really appreciate everyone that has jumped in to help me with this issue. Deciding to build a CNC instead of buying one with a support outlet is stressful when things like this happen. It is nice knowing where I can turn when I am stumped.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 Sep 2023 19:42 #279605 by Sray69
Well I had high hopes that I had figured this problem out but it looks like I didn't. I have replaced the 30a breaker with a new one but I am still getting the chatter/vibration. BUT it seems to mainly be on corners/arcs only. The original file I was using and testing with when this all started was a 5" circle with a bunch of slots cut out all the way around, so it was kind of always in an arcing motion. I have been cutting other shapes now and notice that on straight lines it has no issues at all. I will say that the tighter the arc the more it chatters/vibrates. Also this has nothing to do with feed & speed or depth of cut because if I remove the bit and run the same jobs the issue is still there.

As mentioned previously I did do some testing on the PS's and checked all the wiring connections in the cabinet. There are no blinking or strange lights on in the cabinet. Everything appears normal. 

I have attached my INI and HAL. I was hoping someone could look it over and see if there is something that could cause something like this?

File Attachment:

File Name: lcnc.hal_2...9-01.txt
File Size:10 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: lcnc.ini_2...9-01.txt
File Size:6 KB

Thanks
Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds