Novakon Mill Conversion - Getting Started

More
25 Feb 2024 14:52 #294372 by Whizbang
I tried, seems its not seeing the firmware? I still have no options to not select 7 series daughter board/firmware

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:06 #294375 by PCW
To start with  pncconf, select 5i25 + G540x2
and then set stepgens to 3, pwmgens to 1 and encoders to 0
with the +- check boxes then select accept component changes

Then assign stepgens 0,1,2 to axis X,Y,Z (this assumes expected C11 wiring)
assign the pwmgen to the spindle and enter machine scaling and dimensions,
and step/dir timing. This should get you fairly close to a working configuration
with the GPIO for limit switches and GPIO outputs for thinks like spindle on
still needing to be sorted out.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:41 #294388 by Whizbang
Used the G540 firmware selection and seem to have gotten further and am at least seeing 5i25 in the hal and ini files now, but I am still getting errors and this time I am uncertain what the issue is, driver issue?

Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2024 15:45 #294389 by tommylight
You have chosen a parallel port somewhere in the wizard, there is no parallel port in use.
Mesa is not a parallel port, although it can do everything a parallel port does and connectors are the same, this is by design for easier interfacing.

More
25 Feb 2024 18:11 #294419 by Whizbang
what you said makes sense and I went back and modified so that there is no parallel port, but I still get the same errors. It seems there is an issue with the actual firmware I think.

After a little conversation on IRC, it seems as though the firmware isn't right and that pins in the C11gx2 pinfile don't all match correctly to my actual pin layout and I may need a custom firmware.

I attached my confirmed ports and pins for the C11G BoB for reference.

Attachments:

More
25 Feb 2024 19:53 #294442 by tommylight
Not the same errors, there are two distinct errors, first ethernet instead of PCI, second non existing parallel port.
So, what error do you get now?

More
25 Feb 2024 23:19 #294458 by PCW
It appears you have not updated the firmware to 5i25_c11gx2.bit
That is, your mesaflash readhmid  list does not match the C11G pinout

To update the firmware, you would need to

sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --write 5i25_c11gx2.bit --reload

More
27 Feb 2024 00:30 #294563 by Whizbang
So I tried to flash per the command you suggested and got "Can't find bitfile 5i25_c11gx2.bit" . I assume the downloaded file being in my downloads folder is why, but based on notifications from PNCcong when I open about lack of firm ware in lib/firmware/hm2 I tried to create a hm2 folder with 5i25 fold in it and was told I don't have the permission to create a folder in "lib/firmware/". I am very unfamiliar with Linux commands, so I apologize in advance for having such stupid struggles

I do want to confirm something though, the image I last uploaded are the C11g pin configurations I have confirmed on my existing board, if the pins in the C11gx2 pinfile don't match, won't flashing the card not actually fix my issue?

More
27 Feb 2024 00:51 - 27 Feb 2024 00:51 #294564 by PCW
You need 5i25_c11gx2.bit to be in the same directory that you run mesaflash from
5i25_c11gx2.bit is in the 5i25.zip file in configs/hostmot2/  so you need to unzip
5i25. zip first and the change to that directory before you run mesaflash.

The pncconf warning can be ignored, that only applies to ancient cards like the 5I20

The pins on 5i25_c11gx2.bit do match your table, though the table is mislabled
in some ways as the C11G uses PWM for the spindle control where the older C11 uses
a stepgen (as its spindle analog out  is frequency controlled)
Also the C11G firmware uses a stepgen to drive the chargepump
Last edit: 27 Feb 2024 00:51 by PCW.

More
02 Mar 2024 00:32 #294875 by Whizbang
I flashed my mesa card again following the instruction above from PCW. Rebooted the computer, tried opening LCNC with my config file and these are the errors I am getting. I used the 5i25_C11gx2.bit file.

Attachments:

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds