from anilam to emc2?

More
27 May 2011 11:46 #10111 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:from anilam to emc2?
If you are already up-to-speed with EMC2 then I think it should be fairly easy.

Depending on where you want to make the cut between new and old you might need to add encoders to the motors.

brmachineshop's Anilam had tachometers on the motors for velocity feedback, and uses the digital scales (quadrature) for position feedback.
I think it should be possible to keep that structure, if there was a way to get velocity feedback back in to EMC2.

There is experimental support for the Mesa 7i65, which has several 12-bit analogue inputs, and I think it might be possible to use those to close a velocity loop on tachometer voltage, then drive that loop from a second loop closed by the linear scale position.
This would only be necessary if replacing the existing servodrives, of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2011 11:47 #10128 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:from anilam to emc2?
Yep, same type of setup with Tach signal on servo and scales on the table.
I would hope to start by keeping as much of the old system as possible, so I will search for original wiring information and find out what type of signal the servo drivers require.

Rick G

More
11 Jul 2011 13:43 #11399 by btvpimill
Replied by btvpimill on topic Re:from anilam to emc2?
Wow, just read the entire thread linked by Andy, as a +15 year CNC machinists, I am a HUGE fan of EMC. Further I would NEVER consider running a machine with Winblows as my OS. For this reason alone I started with EMC as my control for a hobby machine built by me. As I uncover more features built into EMC, I am now considering retro of an old VF1. That is assuming the drives all work.

Beyond that, I have a BP ez-track I have never liked. right now it is non functioning because I robbed the main control card to use in 1 of my VMC's. To replace that card will be ~$2500. So thats not happening. I will however, after learning more about how to configure EMC, retro it with some MESA stuff and EMC.

Beyond that, I have 4 VMC's - all with BP DX-32 controls, that could be retro'ed later as the controls are obsolete and costly to fix. While you guys have no idea of my background - suffice it to say that even considering getting rid of my DX-32's is HUGE. It is actually a criteria for buying new used machines.

Also have a lathe with FANUC - OT on it. what can I say _HATE IT!!!!

I guess maybe this post is almost spam for EMC, but what can I say - I am SO VERY IMPRESSED!!!

Anyway, after reading the above mantioned thread, I can't see why anyone would run MACH on anything other then a small for play machine.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

More
11 Jul 2011 17:07 - 11 Jul 2011 17:09 #11425 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:from anilam to emc2?
I have a BP Discovery 308 with DX-32 control that is up for EMC2 when the time comes. I need to replace the caps in the drives as they drop out when warm and if I try to go from 0 to > 2500 on the spindle in one step.

I converted my Hardinge CHNC to EMC2 after not getting the original controls to fully work.

John
Last edit: 11 Jul 2011 17:09 by BigJohnT.

More
11 Jul 2011 19:02 #11426 by btvpimill
Nice, I think thats what they trained us on at BP back in 1997 if memory serves. So you know what a BMDC board is and why I won't be buying another.

More
11 Jul 2011 19:38 #11430 by BigJohnT
Well, not really but when the time comes to learn what a BCMD board is it is time for EMC2!

More
12 Jul 2011 14:36 - 12 Jul 2011 14:38 #11459 by btvpimill
in a nutshell, the BMDC board is EMC/PC all rolled into 1. It sits in the ISA slot of the PC. When you boot the machine, and see the message about loading BMDC, it is sending all the needed software to it. When you hit "+" to load the program, it gets sent to the BMDC board. the neat thing is the PC can fail but the machine will still run as long as there is power. Of course you can ONLY run the current program but I have gotton through jobs that way with failing mobo.

Do you have the semins A/C drives or the D/C drives?

EDIT: it is EMC/PC with 1 really big difference => you can't change things to suit you or your machine!!!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2011 14:38 by btvpimill.

More
12 Jul 2011 18:59 #11467 by BigJohnT
I have the Simodrive 611 DC analog drives.

John

More
06 Jan 2013 05:08 #28402 by ryankracht
Replied by ryankracht on topic Re:from anilam to emc2?
Rick, I see you were working with a friend on a conversion from anilam crusader m to emc.

Did he get it done? Can you give me any tips for someone considering the same thing?

Thanks.

More
06 Jan 2013 08:14 #28404 by BigJohnT
Ryan,

Do you have an Anilam you wish to convert?

Best to start a new thread instead of digging up a 2 year old thread...

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds