Gcodetools - Inkscape's CAM extension

More
17 Mar 2011 12:47 #7897 by Nick
Glad to hear that. If you'll got any questions or suggestions do not hesitate to write them :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2011 20:54 #7904 by BigJohnT
I installed Inkscape and gcodetools in winblows 7 to try it out.

I plunked some text in a file and ran Engrave and got this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\pythonw.exe: can't open file 'gcodetools.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

It took several attempts to copy the files to the proper directory in Windos 7. I could not extract them I had to extract them then copy them...

Now I get

Select one of the active tabs - Path to Gcode, Area, Engraving, DXF points, Orientation, Offset, Lathe or Tools library.

Each time I try to create g code.

I probably need to try one of the tutorials but you always want to see if you can do it on your own right out of the box.

John

More
18 Mar 2011 02:52 #7911 by bvandiepenbos
Hello Nick,
I just had to change it from /home to /home/brian
now it writes file fine.

Great job with the gcode extention for Inkscape, I Love it!
This is a very powerful option for EMC2
I am going to be trying out all of the features.

~*Brian VanDiepenbos

More
18 Mar 2011 07:22 #7912 by Nick
>> Select one of the active tabs - Path to Gcode, Area, Engraving, DXF points, Orientation, Offset, Lathe or Tools library.

Just do what is says :).

Gcodetools has a lot of functions so it needs a radio buttons or something like that to select the certain function. So we have decided to use the name of the currently opened tab at it's form.

So if you want export Path to Gcode, open path to Gcode tab and Press Apply.
If you need Engraving open Engraving Tab and press apply.

Such way you can run several functions from one extensions window. And when you press apply from "non functional" tabs such Preferences or options Gcodetools raises an exception asking to choose proper tab.

PS in windows you have to put extension's files into C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\share\extensions\ (probably you'll need admin wrights to do it) or in your own user settings directory, something like C:\Documents and settings\user\application data\inkscape...
On ubuntu it's /usr/share/inkscape/extensions/ and /home/nick/.config/inkscape/extensions/ .

More
18 Mar 2011 12:19 #7918 by BigJohnT
Thanks Nick,

Yes it has a lot of functions so a bit confusing the very first time... I'll try again this evening. BTW, the engrave tutorial seems to be a bit dated and or confusing to me.

John

More
18 Mar 2011 12:28 #7919 by Nick
Yeah, engraving is a little bit of that :).

It was developed to make a Gcode to cut out thin places and sharp corners in precutted with cylindrical bit ornaments. And it shown up that if the path is thin enough to cut it with the shaped bit with one pass, this function creates suitable trajectory. So most of text, and ornaments can be cut with only one pass.

Even if tutorial is outdated main steps should be the same.

One tip, try to break paths appart as much as possible - it'll save calculation time. For example if you want to engrave text after it's better if all letters are separate paths.

More
27 Mar 2011 13:13 #8158 by BigJohnT
Nick,

I guess I'm lost trying to install in Ubuntu. I can't seem to figure out how to unpack and copy to the usr/share/inkscape/extensions directory. Do you have any hints?

Thanks
John

More
27 Mar 2011 13:22 #8159 by BigJohnT
Whew That was fun.

Unpack in a directory.
open up a terminal and cd to that directory.
sudo cp *.* /usr/share/inkscape/extensions

John

More
28 Mar 2011 11:54 #8193 by Nick
Yep you've got it :).

Sorry for late answer gmail put linuxcnc subscription's mail to spam :mad:!

You can also copy the files into ~/.config/inkscape/extensions so you would not need to be a super user. But then gcodetools will be installed for your user only.

(~/ is your home dir)

More
28 Mar 2011 12:29 #8197 by BigJohnT
Ah, the old hidden directory trick... I see that now.

Thanks
John

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds