Cad/Cam software for Linux

More
30 May 2013 13:40 #34948 by TemK
Replied by TemK on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
I meant to type:
"if simple forms are all that you need then
Inventor Fusion for Mac is ok."
I realize now how that could be/was confusing.
Anypugh, yes Inventor is a full featured CAD system, unlike Inventor Fusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2013 02:52 #34992 by peter76
Replied by peter76 on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
There's a CAM addon for QCAD released in beta stage; looks very promising for 2d applications.

See www.qcad.org

More
22 Jun 2013 01:41 #35896 by submicro
Replied by submicro on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
Yes but it has virtually no user interface or options at all. You simply select your drawing and then export gcode. That's it then you must hand edit the code if you want any changes.

More
02 Jul 2013 00:19 #36203 by Paul
Replied by Paul on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
I used to use HeeksCNC for mostly 2D work, but also a little 3D. It was somewhat frustrating at times, but the price was right! It seemed like development for HeeksCAD/CNC slowed or stopped altogther. Not sure. But trying to add tabs (or tags) would cause the program to die and I used the tabs quiet a bit.

I now use SheetCam which does cost, but the learning curve was closer to a straight line - i.e., very easy to learn. Works on Linux and Windows, but Windows development seems to be ahead a little and also works under Wine for the most part. For 2D work, I think it's well priced considering how easy it is to use and support is very quick.

Paul

More
02 Jul 2013 23:43 #36241 by submicro
Replied by submicro on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
I have yet to find a CAM program that I really like. But for now I use CamBam. They have a linux version which works well, and the price is reasonable.

More
22 Dec 2013 01:22 - 22 Dec 2013 01:31 #41909 by Bob La Londe
While not in the same realm as some of the more expensive software mentioned CamBam now has a Linux port that runs Linux native, (not under an emulator). It will work with 3D geometry (STL or 3DS), but it deosn't have any real 3D CAD capability. I use it all the time for 2D CAD. (I use ViaCad on a Windows machine for 3D).

It doesn't do REST, HSM, or TRACHOIDAL, but it does generate accurate tool paths from 2D geometry, and pretty good ones (depending on your set resolution) from 3D geometry. It also has the most proactively helpful user group on their support forums of any forum I have ever seen.

Currently I have CamBam installed on a Windows box and a Linux Box side by side. It was a little bit of a pain to get the support libraries and install them on the Linux box, but I attribute that mostly to the fact that I am a novice Linux user. There are a few things using the ALT key that conflict with the standard Linux useage, but none that are not able to be dealt with.

It has a number of standard post processors, and its fairly easy to modify a post if needed. It has stock posts for EMC and Mach. I still have not gotten around to testing the EMC one, but the Mach one serves my Mach needs without modification. Tool changes, spindle control, etc all work like they should. Sorry, I still haven't gotten around to converting one of my machines to LinuxCNC, so I have not tested the EMC post. There are hard corps Linux users on their forum though that you could ask.

Its core is just 3 axis, (wadda ya expect for the price) but every machine operation has the ability to manually add G-Code before and after. If you have a 4th axis that you use for coordinated movement while machining this probably won't work for you, but if you have a 4th axis that you primarily use for indexing (like I do) you can always add a G00 AXXX at the beginning of the machine operation so it will be embedded in your code file when you generate code.

There are some turning applications, but that part is really just alpha or pre-alpha in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. There are guys using them.

It boiled down to this for me. Its CAM package that works and I could afford.

~~ Sorry. I didn't see your post when I first made mine.

I have yet to find a CAM program that I really like. But for now I use CamBam. They have a linux version which works well, and the price is reasonable.

What I still have an issue with is getting a decent, affordable, modestly short learning curve, 3D CAD program running under Linux.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2013 01:31 by Bob La Londe.

More
05 Jun 2020 04:35 #170197 by EverydayDiesel
7 years later....

What is the best cad/cam software for linux in 2020?

More
05 Jun 2020 06:20 #170202 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic Cad/Cam software for Linux
it depends on what machine you use !
use Qcad/librecad Freecad Heekscad/cnc Sheetcam Pycam .... ;-) inkscape Gimp ..... ALLof this will work on the item it is made for
and ofcause dxf2gcode Ncam Linuxcnc Machine internal
all working great

More
05 Jun 2020 17:34 #170265 by Todd Zuercher

7 years later....

What is the best cad/cam software for linux in 2020?

The one you like best (this is very subjective.) Kind of a what ever works for you.

More
05 Jun 2020 18:08 #170268 by tommylight
For me, Inkscape with included gcodetools for plasma cutting, i can have anything i need in about 5 minutes cutting on the machine.

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds