Fusion 360

More
28 Jan 2017 13:54 #86841 by BigJohnT
Fusion 360 was created by BigJohnT
I assumed that Fusion 360 was a cloud software but I was wrong. Fusion 360 is indeed an installed software and can be ran off line. When connected to the cloud it saves your files there so you can access them from anywhere you log in. The only drawback is it is Windows or Mac only. The built in CAM is the only reason I'm trying it.

Being a die hard SolidWorks user Fusion 360 is a bit different but there are youtube videos out there to help you transition. I still have not found where you select the post processor but it's only been a few minutes running.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2017 20:14 #86857 by Sparky961
Replied by Sparky961 on topic Fusion 360
I see people talking about Fusion360 everywhere. I'm looking forward to your take on it, as you seem like you'd be able to offer a pretty competent review. I was initially turned off because I thought it was cloud based too, so I'm watching with interest to see how this develops.

What about file imports? Can you do your modeling in SolidWords then use Fusion360 just for CAM? I too am a SolidWorks diehard, and refuse to learn another software package if it's just a passing fad. Quite the opposite if everyone is using something. Then you pretty much have to convert - like it or not.

More
28 Jan 2017 22:26 #86861 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Fusion 360
I do my modeling with Geomagic, export as step and import that to Fusion360 for CAM.
But many times the generated code is far away from beeing good or perfect. Often i redo it by hand to save up to 50% of time.

But sometimes it is the only way to get ngc code for 3D code within an short time.

I recommend to test and check for everys induvidual purpose.

Norbert

More
28 Jan 2017 22:55 #86863 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Fusion 360
Well watching a few youtube videos and spending an hour making a simple part I'm very impressed. The 2D tool path is much better than OneCNC. I've been working in offline mode and saving files and sending G code to my mill without any issues. I had to go online one time to get the G code editor then switched it back off. It's worth the effort to learn a new way IMHO. If I can get to the point where I can design a part in Fusion as fast as SolidWorks I'll switch.

So far I'm impressed, you do need a good graphics card and a pretty good PC.

JT

More
29 Jan 2017 01:09 #86873 by racedirector
Replied by racedirector on topic Fusion 360
JT, have a look on youtube for NYCCNC, he does some good stuff with Fusion.

I too am impressed with Fusion but definitely need a better video card. Good thing I build my own PC's :)

More
29 Jan 2017 04:01 #86878 by Sparky961
Replied by Sparky961 on topic Fusion 360
Well this is a little scary....

knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-36...riod-of-2-weeks.html

I've only been poking around a bit for information, but it doesn't look like they want you to be continuously using the software offline.

More
29 Jan 2017 23:29 #86935 by BigJohnT
I just figured out Fusion 360 does lathe CAM too...

Just get online once a week

JT

More
16 Feb 2017 11:36 #88044 by Victor
Replied by Victor on topic Fusion 360
I have been using Autodesk Inventor since 2012 and use it in my work as an ME, i would say Fusion is Autodesk's response to keeping up with the future demands, in a few years, perhaps five i would say Fusion will replace Inventor.

That said it's free for now but at some point ahead i would be surprised if they don't implement a subscription fee for Fusion.

Fusion is very similar to Inventor, you don't have the FEM and the render capabilities that Inventor has and you lack some of the more advanced features, and also inventor is a "browser" type CAD software and fusion is more of an feature based software, (but it does have the timeline to edit or delete features) but as modeling tool for parts you can mill / turn and with the very capable CAM solution i would say it is and excellent solution for LinuxCNC users! (well the program lacks Linux support as previously mentioned :laugh: )

The CAM part is really good, i have only run it with Mach3 / UCCNC but with my soon to be ready Emco 120p retrofit i will start using the CAM with LinuxCNC!

If you just put your hours into it i'm sure you will like it ;) for me that are used to inventor it is no problem to going from an Idea to drawing it in the CAD software, then do the CAM part and post process the code in 10 minutes and that is a crazy fast time-period compared to some other options in my opinion.

If you have any question let me know i should be able to shed some light :)

Victor
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

More
16 Feb 2017 12:22 #88045 by BigJohnT
I've only tried it a few times due to limited time but I see I get downloads automagiclly so need to figure a way to turn that off as I'm on satellite with limited band width. It's very much different than SolidWorks that I'm used to.

JT

More
16 Feb 2017 13:12 #88047 by Victor
Replied by Victor on topic Fusion 360
Well disabling auto update looks like there is quite a buzz around, from what i understand there is not an option to disable it at this moment,

you can read some about it here Autodesk Fusion feature request

Victor

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds