current state of Cad/Cam software 2022, what works LinuxCNC etc

More
04 Aug 2022 23:36 #249087 by andypugh

sometimes, growth, requires pain and suffering, the models will break eventually anyway, just get it over with

I have abandoned two CAD packages at the point that my models no longer worked. At that point you might as well move on, and I did. 

Alienating users isn't a good way to build you user base. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2022 23:07 - 05 Aug 2022 23:08 #249166 by smc.collins
generally i agree, bit they can leave the existing branch operational and useable, just stop developing it.

the thing is, that no matter what, the models are going to break, it is a unavoidable side effect of the changes to fix face naming issues. a poor decision was made at the beginning of the development of freecad, and now, that decision is here to be dealt with. 

and honestly, it's jist a model, it can always be redrawn

start freecad r2
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 23:08 by smc.collins.

More
06 Aug 2022 03:35 #249175 by sliptonic

a poor decision was made at the beginning of the development of freecad... 

oh please, enlighten me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Aug 2022 22:15 #249234 by smc.collins
the toponamng issue is a problem that fundamentally breaks freecad.

having to work around it is a no go for professional use.

no other cad software in the commercial market has this problem. swallow the pill make the break be done with it

More
06 Aug 2022 22:25 #249235 by sliptonic
I think that you fundamentally don't understand the nature of the toponaming problem. In fact, the problem affects every CAD software in the world. The problem cannot be 'solved' in the traditional sense. It can only be mitigated. More mature CAD applications manage more of the cases that trigger it but NONE are immune.

Nobody denies that FreeCAD has a long way to go here. RealThunder's solution is a huge step forward. Taking that step has consequences and needs to be done right.

But you said a poor decision was made at the beginning of development. I'm waiting for you to tell me what that was. Exactly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
07 Aug 2022 05:19 - 07 Aug 2022 05:20 #249249 by smc.collins
you either want to fix it, or you don't, by the sounds of the extensive rationalizing, you obviously don't.

i cannot and will not use freecad, endorse, or fund it until this issue is resolved.

autodesk, SOLIDWORKS etc all seem to have the problem well in hand with their parametric modelling.

pull the damn bandaid off already, make the break, and move forward. incrementalism is not the solution here
Last edit: 07 Aug 2022 05:20 by smc.collins.

More
07 Aug 2022 15:21 #249277 by sliptonic
Why all the hostility?

Autodesk, solidworks and others are commercial applications with hundreds of full time programmers. They're also the ones YOU said you wanted to get away from. FreeCAD is open-source, free of cost, and maintained by volunteers. It'll get better over time. With or without you.

I think I'm done with this topic now. It bothers me when people who don't contribute anything feel entitled to lecture the ones who do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, FlyingAMortgage

More
07 Aug 2022 19:03 #249297 by tommylight
I use FreeCAD for machine design lately, it is perfectly usable, especially since everything i do is later exported and 3D printed without issues.

More
07 Aug 2022 20:42 #249302 by cruger-
Can not ignore this thread. Models get destroyed in high cost systems. When you start pushing the code and it smacks up against a math corner it can corrupt even the best written plans. This has been my life in any software. A good trick is keep saving copies as you go. Swap the copies and keep 1 alive back to a day or so. Do not try to machine the whole complex mold unless you are using NX or Tebis. Be nice to the system and break it up. Freecad is great but has many functions spread around. The cam portions v19? were neatly packed in one area after you add all the correct packages. This is going well. I agree the system is hard to mesh together but maybe look at the front end cad being separate and scaled back a bit. When cad has offerings for all it tends to get messy. Have not developed cad cam for years but still now too many options leads to road blocks and crashed pointers. Okay then waiting to release slows evolution. Thank You to all at Freecad for a useful system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Aug 2022 22:37 #249309 by smc.collins

Why all the hostility?

Autodesk, solidworks and others are commercial applications with hundreds of full time programmers. They're also the ones YOU said you wanted to get away from. FreeCAD is open-source, free of cost, and maintained by volunteers. It'll get better over time. With or without you.

I think I'm done with this topic now. It bothers me when people who don't contribute anything feel entitled to lecture the ones who do.

You came into my thread, I explained why I don't use Freecad, and then you tried to get in my ass about it. There is a fix for the problem, you and the rest of the developer team are snubbing it. I am not interested in working around bad design choices. if Freecad was a viable option, I would happily invest cash into it, at the moment it is not. 

Moderators: Skullworks
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds