Movement is about 1/2 of drawing size.

More
23 Jun 2011 19:04 #10820 by rccubed
When I set the movement in stepconfig it is correct. 1" = 1" of movement.
But when I run example axis.ngc or any of the other examples or just enter G code EMC II is right at 1/2 the actual size! I'm having to run an older version because of hardware restraints. I'm running 2.3.5.
Is there something I'm missing? I've tested in the stepconfig and it's right on the money!
And I have not edited the .ini file by hand. If you need more info please let me know and I'll try to get it for you?
I've read other entries of the same problem and they are told that the "Scale" is off. But I don't understand how it can be right in the stepconfig and wrong in EMC II.
Thanks for any and all help!
P.S. I LOVE this program!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2011 10:05 #10828 by Rick G
Well as you said I would start out by adjusting the Scale and see if you get the proper results.
Other places to look are speed and acceleration try running slower perhaps you are losing steps.
Also look at the machine for slipping, binding, etc.
I look at Stepconfig as a starting point to jump off from.

Rick G

More
24 Jun 2011 12:51 #10833 by andypugh
rccubed wrote:

because of hardware restraints. I'm running 2.3.5.

You should be able to run any version of EMC2 on your hardware, the EMC2 versions are not tied to specific Linux versions.

But I don't understand how it can be right in the stepconfig and wrong in EMC II.
Thanks for any and all help!

One difference between stepconf "test axis" and running EMC2 seems to be the way that the amp-enable signals are handled.
I wonder if you have step/dir/enable wires switched so that the drive is being enabled by the step line. A bit of a desperate attempt to find an explanation, though.

I would be tempted to edit the "scale" setting in the INI and stop worrying about the root cause if that fixes it.

Factor-of-2 scale problems are normally caused by a different microstep setting on the drive to in Stepconf, but you seem to have eliminated that possibility.

More
24 Jun 2011 13:16 #10834 by step4linux
the factor two makes me thinking about another bug, which was in older versions of stepconf regarding the difference between using the "reset" feature for double clocking versus not using "reset". Not sure however if this could cause the described effect.

What is your min step len ? Try make it bigger than 5000. This should stepconf prevent from using reset.

Another desperate attempt. :)

regards, Gerd

More
25 Jun 2011 21:03 #10868 by rccubed
Thanks guys!
I'll do some tweaking on the settings and see what I can come up with. But with all the help you all have given me I believe I can get it worked out. Fortunately this machine is more for artistic uses then mechanical design uses. But that will be my next build. This was built from the ground up to machine foam or clay,
nothing more. What I learn on this one will be applied to the next build.
Again Thanks so much for all your help!!
Wayne

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds