Is there a better pocket wizard out there?

More
15 Jul 2011 15:46 #11554 by photomankc
The pocket wizard on the wiki site seems to be unable to generate a conventional milling toolpath. Selecting CW or CCW has no effect on the direction the tool is moving when I tried it. My machine has around 0.003" of backlash and I don't want to be taking heavy climb milling passes. I now understand why my nice tool chipped the first time I gave the pocketing wizard a go. I just wondered if anyone knows of another tool to do that job. It's kind of tedious sometimes when I all I want to do is a quick pocket but need to either do it on the MDI or go make a drawing, convert, and CAM it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2011 16:25 #11556 by BigJohnT
Did you take a look at the python file? It should be simple to reverse the direction of the path... maybe. It does look like he used CCW/CW for circular paths.

Might be simpler now to use ngcgui and create a subroutine to make your pockets just the way you like.

John

More
15 Jul 2011 20:11 #11558 by photomankc
BigJohnT wrote:

Did you take a look at the python file? It should be simple to reverse the direction of the path... maybe. It does look like he used CCW/CW for circular paths.

Might be simpler now to use ngcgui and create a subroutine to make your pockets just the way you like.

John

Yeah I was just seeing some snippets of that in the process of looking for the above, but have not found any solid documentation out there yet on how it all ties together. I hate beta-testing my own code with my nice tools because I make a LOT of errors in code ;)

I don't know python at all but did notice that the CW/CCW switch was definitely not used in the rectangular pocket.

More
16 Jul 2011 10:54 #11566 by BigJohnT
I always test my code on sim then air...

John

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds