Solid State Relay Advice

More
29 Jul 2011 04:16 #11977 by aaron.signart
This is my first post, and to celebrate this occasion I have what I hope to be a "noob-worthy" question.

But first I would like to say EMC2 is totally freakin awesome! I have been studying EMC2 for 3+ years now, on and off in my spare time, along with all things related to the design, manufacture and integration of motion control systems etc. Finally last year I had the funding to build the 3axis Gantry Router for our sign shop that I had been studying and collecting parts/ raw materials for all this time. EMC has worked flawlessly since the very first time I hooked up a motor to it. Stepconf made setup breezy, dare I say an enjoyable experience! Axis GUI is brilliant. The stability of Linux rtos is unrivaled. So special thanks to the guys who have contributed, and continually dedicate countless hours to keeping this ever expanding invaluable tool alive and free. And thanks to everybody else for sharing your experiences. I look forward to giving back to the community in whatever way I can in the future (I got some skills) Thanks for reading.

So now for my potentially dumb question
Can I run a Crouzet GRD84130111 Solid State Relay w/ 4-32VDC inputs, from the parallel port to power on and off my spindle?
The "spindle" is a PorterCable 120V 10.0A power tool. Rated output on GRD SSR 48-650VAC 35A
Full Crouzet specs here (page 1-7) stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/44SOLID_IO.pdf

I think this should work, but I haven't tried it. Any thoughts?

Thx
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2011 12:26 #11986 by andypugh
The answer is "probably"

It depends on whether the actual current taken by the control input is anywhere near the maximum listed (10mA) and whether your parallel port can hold >4V at whatever current the relay takes.

I powered the VFD on my lathe through a SSR wired direct to the parport, and that worked fine.

If you have any sort of opto-isolated breakout board on the parallel port then the answer becomes "definitely"

More
29 Jul 2011 13:53 #11988 by BigJohnT
If the SSR doesn't come with a heat sink make sure you bolt it down to some metal to draw the heat out.

You can burn SSR's out without a heat sink... wanna know how I know?

John

More
29 Jul 2011 15:03 #11990 by aaron.signart
andypugh, I am running a C10R10 BOB from Keling. I don't think that's opto-isolated, but I do have a solid 5V attached to it, so at least I'm not relying on the parport for the power.

BigJohnT, I'm guessing you have learned the hard way :( . Fortunately this one is attached to an impressive chunk of extruded aluminum heatsink already.

Thanks to you both for your prompt replies.

Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2011 15:18 #11991 by BigJohnT
That's one impressive heat sink, and yes I've learned the hard way.

John

More
29 Jul 2011 15:41 #11992 by andypugh
aaron.signart wrote:

andypugh, I am running a C10R10 BOB from Keling. I don't think that's opto-isolated,

It isn't optoisolated, but the 74245 buffers can handle 50mA so there will be no trouble driving the relay.

More
29 Jul 2011 17:02 #11993 by aaron.signart
andypugh & BigJohnT, we have success!!!

Hooked up the physical wiring then simply ran stepconf and set pin 1 to "spindle on" . Now AXIS has these nice little control buttons that indeed turn on and off spindle with a click. Also M03/M05 do the same.

NICE!

gentlemen, thank you for the expert advice.

Also this is completely unrelated to this post but, I'm a graphic artist by trade and I made up some cover page graphics for the EMC manuals a
while back, (Getting Started Guide, User Manual, HAL Handbook etc)
Would like to share, where is a good place to post them?

More
29 Jul 2011 17:08 #11994 by BigJohnT
aaron.signart wrote:

andypugh & BigJohnT, we have success!!!

Hooked up the physical wiring then simply ran stepconf and set pin 1 to "spindle on" . Now AXIS has these nice little control buttons that indeed turn on and off spindle with a click. Also M03/M05 do the same.

NICE!

gentlemen, thank you for the expert advice.

Also this is completely unrelated to this post but, I'm a graphic artist by trade and I made up some cover page graphics for the EMC manuals a
while back, (Getting Started Guide, User Manual, HAL Handbook etc)
Would like to share, where is a good place to post them?

I love it when a plan comes together...

You can email them to me if you like.

John

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds