Spindle feedback at high spindle speeds

More
12 Aug 2011 07:52 #12447 by frequency
Hy!

I want to use spindle feedback for my CNC mill for threading and so on.

Now my question:

What is happen if i run spindle speeds around 10000 rpm and my computer is not fast enough to accquire the spindle encoder signals?
Is this ignored by EMC2 or will this be a problem?

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2011 11:37 #12453 by BigJohnT
Do you really plan on threading at 10,000 rpm?

Are you trying to read the encoder with your parallel port or other hardware?

If your not doing spindle synchronized motion I assume it will be ignored...

John

More
12 Aug 2011 12:14 #12455 by frequency
No :) i not plan on threading at 10,000 rpm! I want to mill, to thread and to drive the spindle to position while tool changing with the same spindle it is a servo motor with an attached resolver.

Yes i want to read the encoder with the parallel port card, i think it will be fast enough at low spindle speed and i hope it will be ignored at high spindle speeds?
The servo have a resolution of 4096 increments per revolution.

ThankĀ“s for replay!

Wolfgang

More
12 Aug 2011 12:41 #12456 by BigJohnT
It does sound rather complicated now as you want full spindle control with feedback part of the time and not when running too fast... as for how fast the parallel port can read depends on the results of the latency test and how fast your base period is. You would have to do the math on that... you might have to "switch" between two spindle configs in HAL depending on what your wanting to do. Of course the better solution if possible is to use something like the Mesa 5i20 to capture your spindle encoder or one of the newer low cost cards that are coming out.

John

More
12 Aug 2011 14:10 #12458 by frequency

More
12 Aug 2011 14:40 #12459 by andypugh
frequency wrote:

No :) i not plan on threading at 10,000 rpm! I want to mill, to thread and to drive the spindle to position while tool changing with the same spindle it is a servo motor with an attached resolver.

Do you mean "Resolver" or does it have both?

[/quote]Yes i want to read the encoder with the parallel port card, i think it will be fast enough at low spindle speed and i hope it will be ignored at high spindle speeds?
The servo have a resolution of 4096 increments per revolution.
[/quote]

What you can probably do is use only the index (Z) as the input to your closed-loop spindle speed control, into one counter-mode single-channel encoder counter, and use the full A/B/Z channels for a separate encoder function linked to motion,spindle.position for rigid tapping etc.

For the closed-loop spindle, try to get the speed as close as you can with FF0 only, then add just enough Igain to hit the speed target. You probably need to leave P and D at zero.

More
12 Aug 2011 15:01 #12460 by PCW
Probably still needs hardware as a 1 line wide index pulse at 10000 RPM would be only ~6.5 uSec long
A one shot or maybe better a flip/flop would fix this for the software counter.

More
12 Aug 2011 17:53 #12463 by frequency
@ Do you mean "Resolver" or does it have both?

It is one resolver who is read by the servo amplifier. The amplifier then gives me an value from 0-4095 and i want to convert it with a peace
of electronic to a quadrature signal and an index pulse.

Wolfgang

More
12 Aug 2011 18:47 #12464 by andypugh
frequency wrote:

It is one resolver who is read by the servo amplifier. The amplifier then gives me an value from 0-4095 and i want to convert it with a peace
of electronic to a quadrature signal and an index pulse.

That seems like a retrograde step. The 0-4095 is a nice absolute value. What format/interface is it on?

More
13 Aug 2011 05:52 #12468 by frequency
Yes i think you are right.
The value is in a binary format with differential line drivers for each bit.
Maybe not the newest standard but servo + amplifier was a gift and so i want to take it.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds