ini. changes while EMC2 running?

More
06 Sep 2011 16:11 #13007 by cwebs
Can I make changes to my ini file while the program is running? I will be making changes to MAX_ACCELERATION rate. Or will I have to stop, restart, home and try the change? Thanks Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2011 19:28 #13008 by Rick G
I believe you will have to restart as the .ini file is the initial file that is read by EMC,

Rick G

More
06 Sep 2011 23:42 #13011 by andypugh
cwebs wrote:

Can I make changes to my ini file while the program is running? I will be making changes to MAX_ACCELERATION rate. Or will I have to stop, restart, home and try the change? Thanks Carl

Changes you make to the INI file will have no effect while the program is running.

However, you can change pins and parameters if you want. (but the changes will not be mirrored in the iNI file)

The way to do it is using the halcmd setp (set parameter/pin) command. You can type this command either into a terminal window (with EMC2 running) or into the box at the bottom of the machine->show hal config window in Axis or tkEMC. (You might have to re-size the window to even see the box)

I prefer to use a terminal, because then you get tab-completion and history.

I can't actually find any pins/paramters for axis accelleration though, which is annoying.

If you are tuning your axes with a stepper system then one way is to create a dummy stepgen config, and experiment in the "test axis" mode, then make a note of the values for your INI file.

More
06 Sep 2011 23:47 #13012 by cwebs
Thank you I will carfully look into that. I'm just an EMC user and learning to make changes. Carl

More
07 Sep 2011 07:10 #13015 by Rick G
If you have not already maybe take a look here ...

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_Getting_Started.pdf

Section 7 on Stepconfig

As Andy said that is an easy place to experiment with changes, and of course be sure to make a new machine set up so as not to overwrite your existing working machine.

Where did the configuration you are using now come from? It might be that it is already optimized for your machine.

When experimenting with acceleration and velocity find the limits and then back off them to avoid stalls/lost steps when you are actually working.

Rick G

More
07 Sep 2011 09:57 #13016 by step4linux
andypugh wrote:

I can't actually find any pins/paramters for axis accelleration though, which is annoying.

I was also looking for this, but some parameters of the ini file seems are not visible as hal-pins or parameters, neither in documentation nor in hal-meter nor in hal-file you can see it.
Good question: where are they hidden ?
Is there any other access possible ?

Gerd

More
07 Sep 2011 11:43 #13020 by andypugh
It seems that the value goes straight from the INI file to emcAxisSetMaxAcceleration in
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...c/emc/ini/iniaxis.cc
Which is in
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...emc/task/taskintf.cc
and uses
emcmotCommand.command = EMCMOT_SET_JOINT_ACC_LIMIT
Which is ony used in command.c.
command.c has some very interesting comments related to this question at the beginning.
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blo...emc/motion/command.c

More
11 Sep 2011 16:56 #13107 by cwebs
Unable to increase the Acceleration but the G61 and G64P works for me. Thanks guys. Carl

More
11 Sep 2011 17:13 #13108 by Rick G
Glad to hear you have it working now.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds