How to configure to use VESA?

More
18 Sep 2011 00:17 #13240 by lewisd
I've tried using the forum search to figure this out, but it seems broken. I just get a blank page when I try to see page 2 or further of the search results.

I've installed the ISO image of Ubuntu with EMC2 from the linuxcnc.org site, and I'm having problems with any computer I try it with. The most recent has been an XP2400+ with an ATI Rage 128. I had an NVidia card in there previously, and had even worse problems. When I try to start EMC2 now, I get the splash screen, and the main window opens, and then the whole computer hangs, except the mouse cursor. But, the mouse cursor changed into just a black cursor. From what I've read, this would suggest I should try using the VESA drivers. However, any EMC2 documentation I can find about how to do this, wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?TroubleShooting#Using_Vesa_Drivers for example, mentions editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which does not appear to exist on this version of Ubuntu.

So, how do I go about switching to using the VESA drivers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2011 08:55 #13252 by ArcEye
Hi

Search the Ubuntu forums, plenty of info there.

Basically even though xorg.conf does not exist, it will be read if created.

The easiest way to create it and get a basic configuration may well be to fit the new card,
make sure BIOS is using it and not on-board chips if that applies
and start the computer into a text log in screen

IE
1. Hold down shift at boot.
2. Select recovery mode for your kernel build.
3. Select Root command prompt (can select with networking if needed)
4. Switch to runlevel 3 with the command “telinit 3″

Then run
xorg -configure to generate /etc/X11/xorg.conf on detected hardware and settings.

Re-boot and try it in full system graphics mode.

That in itself may do the trick, if not gives a good base to start from.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds