EMC2 Lockup in MDI and "Zero All" Killer

More
13 Oct 2011 15:40 #13892 by jeff_HATC
I have two questions.
Recently installed ECM2 V2.4 and Ubuntu 10.4 Never used any ECM or Linux before this.

1) Please help be understand why the Zero ALL would wipe out all number is the Cordinate System Variables (not just the one you are on, but all of them!!!) e.g G55, G56, G57, etc.

Zero all is a great tool to zero out all the axis's. But why in the heck would it zero out all of the saved cordinates !!!. That is just way weird. I went through a lot of work to put in all of my work offsets, only to have the students' wipe'em all out by hitting Zero All when trying to jog. Any way to disable this particular icon?

2) I have had my system lock up several times while in MDI. You type a command in, and it does nothing. This is when I am in a cord. shift of G56. Then you have to quite ECM2 and start all over to find home again (because I was in G56 and not actual zero). My machines do not have homing switches so I have to find everything manually.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2011 18:45 #13895 by BigJohnT
I've never seen a "Zero ALL" button before. Are you using Axis or some other GUI?

The lockup might be your configuration is not set up correctly. If you set it up without doing the latency test first you might have too fast of a base thread.

John

More
13 Oct 2011 19:11 #13896 by jeff_HATC
The front end is called TKMini. It came in a bundle from Sherline.

I assumed that it was all set up and ready to go. I did not know about the latency test.

I am a bit confused I guess. Doesn't EMC2 come with TKMini? If not, then do I have other choices?

More
13 Oct 2011 20:07 - 13 Oct 2011 20:11 #13897 by BigJohnT
Might be something Sherline dreamed up I don't know. The currently supported GUI is Axis...

You can see all the GUI's in this link:

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/

Yes, you have choices, but the first thing we need to know is what version of EMC you have? The most current version is 2.4.6.

The valid choices for a GUI other than a custom one is:

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_ini...5BDISPLAY%5D-section

The latency test is to test how close to "on time" the computer responds to a request from EMC. It can be run from the menu if Sherline has it on the menu. Or open up a command window and say "latency-test" without the quotes.

John
Last edit: 13 Oct 2011 20:11 by BigJohnT.

More
13 Oct 2011 21:05 #13898 by jeff_HATC
I went to the about screen and got you that information

But when I look at the links it is the one called MINI.

I am not sure what version of EMC2 it is. I tried to find the version number and could not locate it.

I know Sherline packaged it with 10.04 so I think it is the 2.4.4 version.

I won't be back there till Monday. I will report back in with the the version number (If i can find it).

How do I go about getting Axis?

More
14 Oct 2011 11:42 #13908 by BigJohnT
In the second link see the DISPLAY parameter in your ini file and change it to AXIS.

Connect it to the internet and get the latest updates

John

More
17 Oct 2011 13:58 #13989 by jeff_HATC
I changed the display to AXIS.

I now get an error something about usr/bin/axis.

I want to download the most current version of this Axis program, but have been unable to find actually find it on google.

I do have EMC2 version 2.4.4 just downloaded the 2.4.7 release and trying to figure out how to install it from that tar file.

More
17 Oct 2011 14:13 #13991 by BigJohnT
Various ways to install EMC are on this page. I prefer the LiveCD.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2

John

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds