Automating Odd Mechanisms

More
18 Oct 2011 19:32 #14032 by semi_lucid
Hello

I have a question about solar tracking mechanisms.

There are basically two types of solar trackers. The first type has some sort of sensor that detects the sun, and follows it.

The second type is programmed to follow a mathematically determined path, and does not use a sensor.

The first type does not require precision motion control, the motors just respond to the commands from the sensors.

The second type does require precision motion control.

So when designing the mechanism, it occurred to me that the rotational motion of the axes needs to be proportional the the rotation of the motors.This is not necessarily the case with the first type.

I was hoping you would look at the unit in the link below, and tell me how he could be achieving precision motion control with the hinging linear actuator that he's using. Would that require an encoder on the pivot point?

www.solartronenergy.com/solarbeam/galler...concentrator-photos/

Thanks.
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2011 21:16 #14037 by cncbasher
it's all to do with following the azimuth satellite path , and in the offset arc inherant in the mounting , they usualy rely on the signal strength to check alignment and an internal counter in the program
at time of setting up , and do nothing more than count pulses

More
18 Oct 2011 21:52 #14041 by andypugh
semi_lucid wrote:

I was hoping you would look at the unit in the link below, and tell me how he could be achieving precision motion control with the hinging linear actuator that he's using. Would that require an encoder on the pivot point?

You could so it with an encoder on the motor and a kinematics which matches the linkage.
EMC can solve the equations of motion of robot arms, that solar concentrator would be relatively easy.
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/motion_kinematics.html

More
19 Oct 2011 06:20 #14045 by semi_lucid
andypugh wrote:

that solar concentrator would be relatively easy.

I understand. Thanks for the reply.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds