Version 2.5

More
10 Dec 2011 16:23 #15529 by SRT
Version 2.5 was created by SRT
How do I confirm what version of EMC I have. I downloaded v2.5 from the buildbot and the splash screen still says 2.4.6 I thought I read on here a way to confirm what version is opening but I can't seem to find it. I finally have my new hardware and am ready to start a config.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2011 17:23 #15530 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Version 2.5
If it says 2.4.x you have 2.4 running.

How did you install 2.5?

John

More
10 Dec 2011 17:28 #15531 by SRT
Replied by SRT on topic Re:Version 2.5
I followed this outline.....Apparently I did something wrong

1. Open gedit by clicking "Applications" then "Accessories" then "gedit Text Editor".

2. In gedit click "File" then "Save".

3. Name the file "emc2-buildbot.list" (without the quotation marks) and then click on "Desktop" under "Places" to save it to the desktop. Next, click "Save".

4. Go to this link, buildbot.linuxcnc.org/, and copy the 2 lines that correspond to your system and what you want to install. If you have Lucid 32-bit realtime and want to install version 2.5 pre-release, these are the lines you need:

deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt
deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt

5. Paste the 2 lines from #4 into the file from #3 and click "File" then "Save" and close the file.

6. Open a terminal by clicking "Applications" then "Accessories" then "Terminal".

7. Enter this line in the terminal, "sudo mv ~/Desktop/emc2-buildbot.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d" also, without the quotation marks and hit "Enter". The "~" is on the key above the "Tab" key.

8. You will be asked to enter your password, do it and hit "Enter", even if the cursor didn't move.

9. Enter this line in the terminal, "sudo apt-get update" and hit "Enter".

10. Lastly, enter this line in the terminal, "sudo apt-get install emc2" and hit "Enter". Answer yes to all questions.

More
10 Dec 2011 17:40 #15532 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Version 2.5
Open up the synaptic package manager from the system administration menu and look to see if the package shows up in settings repositories third party software.

John

More
11 Dec 2011 00:40 #15536 by SRT
No it does not.

More
11 Dec 2011 00:47 #15537 by SRT
I get a message that says the newest version of Emc2 is already installed.

More
11 Dec 2011 00:59 #15538 by fgauder
Replied by fgauder on topic Re:Version 2.5
Click "Places", "Computer", "File System", "etc", "apt", and "sources.list.d". You should have a file named "emc2-buildbot.list" in "sources.list.d". If you do, open it and see if the 2 lines you got from buildbot are in it. If you don't have the file or the 2 lines, you did something wrong, try again.

More
11 Dec 2011 01:04 #15539 by SRT
OK I figured it out. Learning Linux was my issue, it was very easy to add the destination to the update manager and presto version 2.5. I hope all of my problems will be so easy moving forward. Thank you for the direction.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds