Will EMC work with any ISA card and controller box

More
15 Dec 2011 15:07 #15701 by 777funk
I've got an old ISA card system that uses a 3 axis amp and servos. I'd like to put Ubuntu or Red Hat Linux on the machine and use EMC if it's possible. It's a DOS based control at this point.

Curious what it would take to get it running EMC2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2011 15:45 #15702 by BigJohnT
Here is a thread about a similar question.

linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/component...ew&catid=30&id=14519

AFAIK you would have to write a driver for your card.

I would use the EMC LiveCD to install and not mess about with red hat.

John

More
15 Dec 2011 15:49 #15703 by PCW
I think there are two problems here:

1. Finding a Host CPU with and ISA slot that also has enough memory and performance to run Ubuntu.
Not sure what the exact limits are but I suspect than anything less than 256-512M of RAM and a 700 MHz processor will cause trouble. Its unlikely the original DOS based CPU has enough resources to run Ubuntu

2. Like John said, writing a driver for your ISA hardware. This may or may not be difficult depending on the hardware design and whether you have register level hardware documentation.

More
15 Dec 2011 15:59 - 15 Dec 2011 16:11 #15704 by 777funk
PCW wrote:

I think there are two problems here:

1. Finding a Host CPU with and ISA slot that also has enough memory and performance to run Ubuntu.
Not sure what the exact limits are but I suspect than anything less than 256-512M of RAM and a 700 MHz processor will cause trouble. Its unlikely the original DOS based CPU has enough resources to run Ubuntu

2. Like John said, writing a driver for your ISA hardware. This may or may not be difficult depending on the hardware design and whether you have register level hardware documentation.

Excellent and thanks! I have the first part (a host PC with sufficient hardware to function).

The second Part... how would I even begin? I'll read the link given in the above post. But as far as writing drivers, I've programmed microcontrollers and have done some other programing. I have a little bit of background. But I've never done anything with drivers.

I do have the DOS installer. I guess I could reverse engineer maybe??
Last edit: 15 Dec 2011 16:11 by 777funk.

More
15 Dec 2011 16:22 #15706 by PCW
Do you have register level documentation for your ISA interface card?
Without this there's not much hope unless you like reverse engineering...

There is a skeleton driver (hal_skeleton.c in /src/hal/drivers) that covers the basics of whats required.
Also take a look at the other driver sources in /src/hal/drivers, for example the hal_stg.c code is for a ISA servo interface card with digital and analog I/O and encoder counters.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds