HAL Stand Alone configuration

More
04 Jan 2012 11:19 #16285 by martinwh99
Hello

I've been reading throw the EMC2 and HAL PDF manuals and I have a view questions if i understood thinks right. Unfortunately i'm a new to the CNC stuff. I want to use HAL for the configuration of my CNC Styrofoam cutter. Which means i have a XY and a UV axes. And i would like to send G-Code. So here are my Questions:

Can i configure such a kind of machine with HAL Standalone (without EMC2) and where to start?
Can i send G-code somehow to HAL?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, but if I find the startpoint for my project I can hopfully fight me thru the rest of it.

Thanks

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2012 12:28 #16287 by BigJohnT
No, you will need EMC to process g code.

John

More
04 Jan 2012 13:31 #16291 by andypugh
martinwh99 wrote:

Can i send G-code somehow to HAL?

You could, because that is what EMC2 does, but you would end up having to create your own user interface, G-code parser, trajectory planner and motion controller.
You might find this interesting:

More
04 Jan 2012 14:36 #16293 by martinwh99
Hello

Thank's for the prompt answer. So i have learnt i will need EMC2 i can not do it with stand alone HAL. So i have to figure out how to define a machine with 4 linear axe YX and UV.

Thanks

Martin

More
04 Jan 2012 14:50 #16294 by andypugh
martinwh99 wrote:

Thank's for the prompt answer. So i have learnt i will need EMC2 i can not do it with stand alone HAL. So i have to figure out how to define a machine with 4 linear axe YX and UV.

EMC2 is part way through a conversion from having the axes hard-coded to joints, and being a bit more flexible.
This means that some things can be a little confusing.

You should probably start with stepconf (if this is a stepper machine) and then hand-modify the HAL and INI files.
The G-code interpreter will pass the X-position out as axis.0, Y as axis.1, U as axis.6 and V as axis.7, so you need to define an 8-axis machine.
In the INI file you need to clone the [AXIS_0] section so that there is a full set from [AXIS_0] to [AXIS_7]. Don't give the unused axes a HOME_SEQUENCE number, though, and set their home search velocity to zero too.

In the HAL file you will need to add an extra stepgen, but there is no reason at all why axis.7.motor-positon-cmd can't drive stepgen.3.position-cmd.

Have you seen the winch-based foam cutter which uses string and clever kinematics to replace the linear axes?
www.cnc-hotwire.de/
His config files are here:
code.google.com/p/emc2hotwinch/

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds