Mystery hardware

More
11 Jan 2012 02:04 #16557 by Lynge
Mystery hardware was created by Lynge
Hi
I have got some hardware that I don't know an awful lot about.
First, a little pre-story:
I had ordered a small CNC-machine as a kit. The delivery took forever (3.5 months instead of 4 weeks) and when the packages finally arrived, they only contained a little of what they should have. After waiting some more, listening to some more stories as to why this was and discovering that the seller had pretended to be a satisfied customer on a forum. I finally had enough. I made a chargeback for the remainder of the money and got it.
But I don't think the seller likes me very much any more, so getting any help from him might be out of the question.

So, now I have ordered the parts my self. But the parts I had already received included the motors and controllerboard.

As I have paid for these, it would be foolish to not at least try and make some use of them. Only trouble is, I have no idea what they are :blink:

The controllerboard has this URL on the back: www.hyu68.com
And from that I have concluded that my board must be a HY-TB4DV-M (just from looking at pictures, I don't understand chinese)
I have even dug up a PDF with some data for it: dl.dropbox.com/u/23003345/50685280-HY-TB...Driver%20%281%29.pdf

But it does not contain the data I need.
On page 17 of the Getting started PDF it shows EMC asking for something called
Step time
Step space
Direction hold
Direction setup

Neither of these I can find in the manual for the board.
Also, the board is suppose to be setup from the shop, but the DP-switches are not configured like anything described in the manual.
They are all set to:
1    2    3    4    5    6
on  off  on on  on  off

So I have no idea what the step is (or is that microstep?)

I have searched the forum, but so far with little luck. The best thing I found was about the 3-axis version, but that was only there because the guy found it to be different from a 4-axis elsewhere on the forum, but I have not yet found that thread.
Also, I found that it might not be a good idea to trust the manufactures documentation too much. Stated by a forum-member that had found his board to be different from the docs.

So, how do I go about hooking this up to EMC? Can I discover this information for myself or are there some safe default to work from? Or perhaps someone has this board and can share their info?

I also received some motors. I cannot be sure, but the look to be like the ones with this kit: www.longs-motor.com/ProductsView.asp?id=271
The look exactly the same and the dimensions match, but what could happen if they are not identical inside? Worst case scenario?
Are there any ways to find out what the properties are of these motors? Or should I just guess and hope :)

As a side note. When running the latency test, I get 14610 in the bottom row of Max-Jitter but over 33000 in the top one. Should I care about that or just punch in 14610 in the stepconf and forget about it?

Many thanks for any help you can give :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2012 10:35 #16575 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Mystery hardware
As far as step time, step space etc. you could try the defaults in EMC.

You should be able to determine more about the step motors by their label, very important to get the amp setting correct on your drivers to avoid damage, and it looks like you have the documentation for the driver for that.

Do you have the power supply yet?

Rick G

More
11 Jan 2012 10:58 #16578 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mystery hardware
Lynge wrote:

The controllerboard has this URL on the back: www.hyu68.com

Try this datasheet for the actual driver ICs.
www.toshiba.com/taec/components2/Datasheet_Sync/382/27885.pdf

You can get the basic timings from that. But 5000 for step and space and 100000 for dir/setup will probably be fine.
You should be able to track the pins back to the parport header to figure out which is which.
Getting the parport assignment wrong won't break anything, you will just get the wrong results.

If you get the microstep wrong, then the motors will move half or twice the distance commanded, that's easy to change too.

More
11 Jan 2012 15:28 #16600 by Lynge
Replied by Lynge on topic Re:Mystery hardware
Rick G: Ah, I should have mentioned that. The motors are label-less, I have been all over them with a magnifying glass to see if there should be a model number engraved somewhere, but with no luck.
I will look into the amp setting, thank you :)
Yes I also have a power supply. 24VDC 14.60Amp - That should be fine according to the docs for the driver, but what do you think ?

andypugh: Yes, I had stumbled upon that datasheet as well, but I couldn't get any timing values out of it. I am sure they are in there, but I cant seem to find it.
So, I will check the amp setting on the driver and then just give it a try with the suggested settings and see what happens.

More
11 Jan 2012 15:46 #16601 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:Mystery hardware
their are a number of boards of these types , unfortunately all are different
but the versions appear to follow some colour coding based on pcb resist coating .. i.e Red or Blue

the basic settings as AndyPugh suggested does work with these boards .
their are a few posts relating to these chipsets ,and as i recall a link to parrell port connections found to work
depending on the colour coding of the pcb
so should be easy to follow or get you close
following the zylotex configuration in stepconf should work with a few pin changes

but beware most need pin 1 used as an amplifier enable

More
11 Jan 2012 22:45 #16614 by Lynge
My board is blue, if that helps anyone.

Now I have a problem. If I connect the board to both its powersupply and the computer, one of the motors emits a rather load bussing sound.
Only one of them (the one connected to Y).

So from some video on youtube by a guy that have the same board and have had the same problem, I read that it had to do with the Dip switches and amp.

How do I go about guessing what they should be?
The psu is rated as 14.6A should I divide that by 4? Or should I try to match the current stated on the motors (or what I hope is my motors)?
The motors can also be seen here if the site is down:
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?so...sView.asp%3Fid%3D271

Again, I am only guessing that these are the correct motors, but I have to start somewhere right? :)

The Dip settings in the board doc states that I can have 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% current.
Does that mean that I can send, for example, 25% of 14.6A to each motor that has that setting? Or how is this calculated?
And since all Dip's on the board are set the same, how come only one motor is making the sound?

All the lights on the board come on when I connect it to the computer, if that helps.

More
11 Jan 2012 22:46 #16615 by Rick G
The power supply will be determined by what the stepper motors need and what you are trying to do.
Higher voltage often results in faster speeds (up to a point) but you need to sort out the amp settings first.
You might try check the resistance of the stepper motor windings and compare them to others motors of the same size and type, ( there is resistance and impedance) but you need to start somewhere.
When in doubt use a lower amp setting for testing.

How are you making out with sorting out the wiring to the parallel port?

Rick G

More
11 Jan 2012 22:50 #16616 by Lynge
Well I assume the PSU has the correct voltage for the steppers since they are a kit from somewhere.
The amp settings is what is called current in the board docs right? So I could just set that to 50% instead of the 75% they are one now and see if that helps?

The wiring I have done like the picture in this thread:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...id=27&id=13073#14558

Just to see if I could make it do anything, but I never got the chance to test it as I assume the motor is in some kind of "pain" when it makes a noise like that :)

More
11 Jan 2012 22:59 #16619 by Rick G
Does the motor buss when the computer is not hooked up?
If the pins are not correct you may be sending the wrong signal to the Y driver.

Rick G

More
11 Jan 2012 23:08 #16621 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Mystery hardware
Lynge wrote:

Well I assume the PSU has the correct voltage for the steppers since they are a kit from somewhere.

It's not that simple with steppers, and chopper drivers.
The motors will have a "rated voltage" but that could be as little as 2V, and corresponds to the DC voltage that can be applied to a stalled motor, and which will not cause more than the rated current to flow. Typically you run a stepper at 50x rated voltage, but the drive limits the current to a safe level.
The reason for this is because the motor windings also have inductance, and it takes a lot of voltage to push the AC current through the coils.

I would start of on the lowest possible current setting until you are sure everything else is right.

The amp settings is what is called current in the board docs right?

In this case I think "Amp" meant "Amplifier", an alternative name for a motor drive.

I assume the motor is in some kind of "pain" when it makes a noise like that :)

Yes, that might be a fair assumption. Were you trying to move the motor at the time? Sending steps to the direction pin will make funny noises.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds