Servo Motors and EMC2

More
13 Jan 2012 20:20 #16730 by perryg114
I have been reading the manuals for EMC2 and can't find much on interfacing Servo Controllers to EMC2. Steppers just require a pulse through the parallel port to operate but most servos require feedback loops etc. I think some servos have a step mode to emulate a stepper motor but that seems like a waste of a servo. I have been messing around with servos in Labview using their PCI-7344, 4 axis interface card. The question is will EMC2 talk to the interface card? I don't think that EMC2 is going to be able to replace the PCI-7344 card because of the number of connections for encoders etc. You would need a parellel port for each axis if that were the case.

Perry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2012 21:43 #16733 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Servo Motors and EMC2
perryg114 wrote:

I have been messing around with servos in Labview using their PCI-7344, 4 axis interface card.

<Google> Yikes! That's expensive! There is EMC2-compatible hardware that can do the same job for <$200.

The question is will EMC2 talk to the interface card?

Not at the moment, no.
I think you would have to write a driver, but that is quite possibly fairly easy for a servo config, all you need to do is drive the PWM voltage and read back encoder counts.
NI are quite good at providing code samples, as I recall?

More
14 Jan 2012 11:12 #16763 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Servo Motors and EMC2

I don't think that EMC2 is going to be able to replace the PCI-7344 card because of the number of connections for encoders etc. You would need a parellel port for each axis if that were the case.

Perry

You might want to look at the Mesa and Pico offerings. They both have solutions for running servos and adding tons of inputs.
You will find tons of info on them in this forum and they are well supported.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds