X Window server aborts

More
24 Jan 2012 09:20 #17088 by ArcEye
Hi

If anyone can confirm that changing from DRI to software accelerated GL will improve my performance I might be tempted to try

The software GL libraries will not 'improve your performance' in a literal sense, but they may well enable you to use Axis.

I have them installed on one of my P4 machines running 8.04, because of a problem with GL and the camview-emc program.
The plot rendering is probably slightly slower, but I can't really tell.

The thing is, you can try them easily and if you don't like the result, remove them and re-install the default libraries

Use Synaptic Package Manager and it will give you a list of what files are going to be removed you can copy to ensure you know what to put back.

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2012 18:52 #17102 by pfred1
Unfortunately now I am a victim of my present circumstances. Until those change it is unlikely a better solution will present itself to me. Simply put I need a faster computer in order to run Axis. Running TkEMC has borne this out clearly for me.

Just to clear things up I can, and have run Axis. It is running Axis and a stable X session that I have not achieved yet. But that is of no consequence now because the performance penalty I pay to run Axis is too high with my current configuration.

If I was running the EMC CD image I'd have risked it, but I'm not, so I didn't. Aptitude gave me a score of -571 for the switch from DRI to software acceleration, so I abandoned that. I've built a custom setup to compensate for my lack of computer resources. I'm not willing to risk it to run Axis at this point in time.

Now I'm intrigued to try even more primitive interfaces for EMC seeing what TkEMC has done for me here. Choice is always a good thing. I've made mine. My 1GHz P3 is flying with what I've made too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds