Problem getting 2.5

More
19 Feb 2012 21:40 #17846 by cwebs
Problem getting 2.5 was created by cwebs
I made a file on the desktop to add to source list and can't get sudo to mv it. what is wrong with this

"carl@carl-desktop:~$ sudo mv~/desktop/linuxcnc-buildbot.list:/etc/apt/sources.list.d"? Using gedit. Thanks Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2012 09:21 #17855 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Problem getting 2.5

I made a file on the desktop to add to source list and can't get sudo to mv it. what is wrong with this

"carl@carl-desktop:~$ sudo mv~/desktop/linuxcnc-buildbot.list:/etc/apt/sources.list.d"? Using gedit. Thanks Carl

Don't really understand what you are doing and how you are using gedit

Either open the file using gedit as root and then save as to the location you want or

just open /etc/apt/sources.list in gedit and paste in deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt

Don't forget to run apt-get update afterwards

regards

More
20 Feb 2012 14:18 #17863 by cwebs
Replied by cwebs on topic Re:Problem getting 2.5
Thanks for trying to help. My problem is I'm in my mid 60s and know nothen about linux. Also I no longer retain things in memory and am getting very frustrated. Learning linux just ain't working.

What I want to do is install 2.5 and trying to follow the instructions. However the instructions are for people that know how and what to type in the termanal, Not for linux idiots like me. The instructions assume I have some linux knowlage.

I don't have a need to spend lots of time to learn alot about linux, it just ain't sticking, BUT I do want to use Linuxcnc. Carl

More
20 Feb 2012 15:50 #17865 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Problem getting 2.5
cwebs wrote:

I think the problem is that colon, the format would normally be sudo mv file destination, with a space to separate source from destination.

When I did this, I opened a terminal and typed

sudo gedit

That opens gedit with root-access so that you can directly open (or create) and edit the etc/apt/sour.... file.

More
20 Feb 2012 17:49 - 20 Feb 2012 17:51 #17871 by cwebs
Replied by cwebs on topic Re:Problem getting 2.5
Thank you Andy, That got it. I thought it was a typo of some sort. Don't know when to use a space either. Carl
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:51 by cwebs.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds