Just Starting Out

More
23 Feb 2012 16:10 #17962 by iamwill
Just Starting Out was created by iamwill
Hello Forums.

I am currently using Google SketchUp for modeling, however, despite what the forums say elsewhere, converting from SketchUp to GCode isn't as stable as portrayed. Although I am a full time linux user, I have become very comfortable with SketchUp and would prefer to keep using it. I have found some other tools to convert SketchUp to STL (and other file formats) and was curious, what is the best linux based CAM software to get STL to GCode? Of course, as a linux user, I like free, but above all, I would gladly pay for something simple and functional.

The biggest wall that I am hitting is, I wan't to mill 3D objects.

Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

- Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 16:15 #17963 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Just Starting Out
Have you checked out Heekscad? They have an IRC channel on freenode #heekscad.

John

More
24 Feb 2012 05:45 #18002 by iamwill
Replied by iamwill on topic Re:Just Starting Out
I have... I guess that I am not really understanding how to use it though. (Possibly because I am really stuck on the simplicity of SketchUp.). Also, the CAM solution with Heeks is a little awkward. I did output my file from SketchUp to STL and imported into Heeks successfully, but I can't figure out the CAM portion. I am farming google for a good walk through, but haven't been successful yet. I will keep you posted.

More
24 Feb 2012 06:11 #18003 by iamwill
Another problem I just realized... When I import a file from SketchUp, it is significantly smaller than what it is suppose to be... (ie, I made an 8x8x8 inch cude, it came into heeks at just over .25" cube.) Not sure why that is happening too. I tried both stl and dxf.

More
24 Feb 2012 07:41 #18004 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Just Starting Out
Sounds like heekscad took the dimensions as mm

More
24 Feb 2012 13:33 #18021 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Just Starting Out
BigJohnT wrote:

Have you checked out Heekscad? They have an IRC channel on freenode #heekscad.

I think much of the effort in HeeksCAD has moved to free-CAD
sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/....php?title=Main_Page
I haven't looked for a while, but last time I did it behaved rather more like I expect a CAD application to act than Heeks.

I tried Sketchup and couldn't get used to the vagueness of it, though, so what suite me might not suit you.

More
25 Feb 2012 07:21 #18070 by iamwill
I am starting to realize that I am going to have to learn another program. Although I like SketchUp, it just doesn't seem like it is going to cut it. (It's like trying to make cupcakes with a loaf of bread, sure they are bread, but they are two different types all together). I thought of a list of features that I like, but don't know where to look to see which program will best suit my needs...

- Simple extrusion of surfaces (making a 2D object 3D) -(SketchUp calls it the Push/Pull feature)
- Creating 3D text with choice font
- Built in CAM support
- (Optional) Ability to scale objects in size

Thanks again for the help everyone, it is VERY appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds