what do i need for servo system

More
04 Apr 2012 16:20 #18972 by Miran90
hi everyone im new to the forums and actually fairly new to linux even though ive always wanted to use the software. im wanting to convert my knee mill to linux cnc my question is what boards would i need if any to convert it its a servo system with sem mt30u4-42 servo motors and servo dynamics Sd1525-10 15 amp servo drives im really excited to give this a try, right now im using an allen bradley 8400mp control i love the control but im getting tired of trying to get parts and pay the crazy high prices for them, so any help would be appreciated i believe i have enough knowledge to complete the conversion i just need help on what boards i would need to make the connection from linux to my drives and motors.
thanks ahead of time, mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2012 16:56 #18974 by BigJohnT
Do you know if your drives take velocity input (+-10vdc) and have encoder feedback to your present control? If so the conversion is fairly straight forward. I'm in the process of converting my BP with a Mesa 5i25 7i77 cards.

John

More
04 Apr 2012 17:38 #18976 by Miran90
im not positive about the 10 vdc i would have to check my notes at home but i know the encoders are fed back to the control now. i have all the hand drawn schematics at home i made because i had to put on a new encoder of a different type so i had to trace all the wiring from the connectors. From what i ahve read already it doesnt seem to difficult i just need some information on what to use to connect the PC to the servo drives and encoders.
mike

More
05 Apr 2012 04:24 #18978 by jmelson
Miran90 wrote:

hi everyone im new to the forums and actually fairly new to linux even though ive always wanted to use the software. im wanting to convert my knee mill to linux cnc my question is what boards would i need if any to convert it its a servo system with sem mt30u4-42 servo motors and servo dynamics Sd1525-10 15 amp servo drives im really excited to give this a try, right now im using an allen bradley 8400mp control i love the control but im getting tired of trying to get parts and pay the crazy high prices for them, so any help would be appreciated i believe i have enough knowledge to complete the conversion i just need help on what boards i would need to make the connection from linux to my drives and motors.
thanks ahead of time, mike

Yes, your Servo Dynamics amps are analog velocity amplifiers, and tape tachometer feedback
from the servo motors. Mesa has a set of boards that will work, also Pico Systems (me) has
the PPMC board set that reads the encoders, sends +/- 10 V analog velocity commands to the
servo amps and also has digital I/O for the home and limit switches and control of auxiliary
functions. You can use extra DAC channels to control a spindle VFD and if you can get an
encoder on the spindle then you can do rigid tapping, too.

I entered the CNC world with an earlier A-B control, the 7320, and was VERY glad to leave that
old hardware behind. I could troubleshoot it at the chip level, but that became very tiresome after
the 3rd breakdown in 9 months!

Oh, you can see the PPMC at
pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/index.php?cPath=1

Jon

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds