Good CAD/CAD Solution for Linux?

More
04 Sep 2012 20:28 #23893 by 777funk
I've been using BobCAD CAM for a while now and it's one reason I still have to boot up Windows. However I've never been that impressed with it as a CAD/CAM. It works ok but it seems to have lots of bugs.

I'd be thrilled to not have to switch when it's time to design a part. Everything I do is 2.5D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 06:36 - 05 Sep 2012 07:10 #23901 by ArcEye
There is a whole section on CAD /CAM
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...unc=showcat&catid=31

The question get asked quite often, depends if you want it to be good and free, thats when it gets restricted.

Regards BobCad, JT swears by it, no sorry, he swears AT it - can't stand it!

regards
Last edit: 05 Sep 2012 07:10 by ArcEye.

More
05 Sep 2012 08:01 #23906 by dab77
If your work is't complicated, there's a very good CAD, which is Draftsight (I don't remember if it is mentioned in that section..) free, supports DXF,DWG, but it's 2D.
And you can use HeeksCAD/CAM to do simple Drawings and CAM. at the end isn't bad, as soon as the learning curve is done..

Installation of HeeksCAD/CAM is a little pain, but if you follow the instruction everything will go ok. Maybe for what you need that will be enough. or, if you need something more complicated you can always learn to use Blender...

More
05 Sep 2012 12:19 #23912 by 777funk
From what I see so far, it looks like there aren't many CAM options. I downloaded and installed Draftsight. Looks promising. But without CAM to be generated from the CAD, I'm a little bit up a creek.

Being new to Ubuntu (12.04) I couldn't find the pieces needed to install most of those. I really wish it was simpler. If there are any suggestions on where to look to install say PyCam or HeeksCAM please let me know.

More
05 Sep 2012 12:57 #23915 by Todd Zuercher
I don't use it myself, have you looked at Vectric softwares Aspire and Vcarve Pro. While they are Windows software, I think they can be run with Wine in Linux.

More
05 Sep 2012 14:32 #23921 by andypugh
If you can put up with creating a DXF file where each finishing Z depth is a different layer, then SheetCAM is reasonably cheap and runs natively on Linux.

More
05 Sep 2012 14:57 #23924 by 777funk
Looks like GCAM and PyCAM may work (open to feedback on these programs). But I can't get them to install (new Ubuntu 12.04 user).

More
07 Sep 2012 14:14 #24023 by wizard69
Sometimes it is better to punt the ball!

In this regard I'd suggest running what you need under a virtual machine. Setup right it is viable and isn't much different than starting up another app.

I know it is desirable to have native software but there apparently isn't a compelling economic reason for developers to target Linux. This you are stuck with a few options that are well supported and closed or open source projects that are in need of support. The problem with open source here is that there is simply a limited number of developers that take interest in such software. In the end you need to pay somebody to make a living at it, or start contributing towards a project.

Frankly I don't like the rip off prices charged by some vendors for commercial CAD software but you might want to consider at least the reasonably priced offerings of commercial projects. I mean really you are willing to spend thousands on hardware but balk at software to run the hardware. It is a common thing to do even if engineering wise much more effort goes into software than hardware (for most CNC machines). I really don't get it.

More
18 Sep 2012 03:12 #24347 by updatelee
I use Cambam and really like it. It does basic Cad as well, I still use autocad (windows) for Cad though, and just use cambam for CAM, there is a windows and linux version.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds