Ubuntu doesnt start

More
08 Sep 2012 23:12 #24079 by VCR
Ubuntu doesnt start was created by VCR
I have worked with Ubuntu for several months operating my CNC and I dint had a single problem.
A few days ago, the software requested permission for same update, and after it stopped starting. It goes up to the point of requesting the password and then the screen goes black. If I turn the screen off and on it goes back to password screen.
I have tryed to reinstall Ubuntu but it doesn't do it.

My PC is working with Ubuntu and Windows (windows works fine)

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Vasco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 03:02 #24083 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:Ubuntu doesnt start
VCR wrote:

I have worked with Ubuntu for several months operating my CNC and I dint had a single problem.
A few days ago, the software requested permission for same update, and after it stopped starting. It goes up to the point of requesting the password and then the screen goes black. If I turn the screen off and on it goes back to password screen.
I have tryed to reinstall Ubuntu but it doesn't do it.

My PC is working with Ubuntu and Windows (windows works fine)

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Vasco

UGH! You must have allowed a KERNEL update, which will cause LinuxCNC to not work anymore.
Your old kernel should still be in the boot directory, it is possible to set it to boot the original kernel
it came with. You don't want to allow the kernel to be updated, as the LinuxCNC modules will
no longer be compatible with it. Since I don't do web surfing on my CNC systems, and they are
behind a firewall on a private network address, I don't ever allow ANY updates, just to avoid these
sorts of disasters.

Jon

More
09 Sep 2012 08:14 #24085 by VCR
Replied by VCR on topic Re:Ubuntu doesnt start
Tanks for helping.
:-| This is beyond meager software knowledge. Is there a simple way to revert this or to reinstall the Ubuntu?

More
09 Sep 2012 08:54 #24086 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Ubuntu doesnt start
Hi

It actually doesn't sound like a kernel update problem, it would run fine, just wouldn't run Linuxcnc.

You can soon see what kernel you are booting by checking /var/logs/dmesg

What this sounds like is a problem with gdm / X server, where you cycle around because the X server started by gdm crashes.
This bug report relates:- bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/553200

Since we know nothing about your system, not even which version of Ubuntu you are running, can't help specifically.
nVidia driver updates are cited in some bug reports.

For simplicity, I would suggest running the Live CD and selecting 'Try Ubuntu / Linuxcnc /Emc' (whatever).
From there mount your Linux partition and copy the contents of your home directory in its entirety to a USB stick.

Now select the 'Install' icon on the desktop and install a fresh copy of Ubuntu /Linuxcnc onto the linux partition, formatting it first.

When installed and running, copy your old folder contents over your new home folder, and you will still have all your configs and gcode etc

regards

More
09 Sep 2012 09:18 #24088 by VCR
Replied by VCR on topic Re:Ubuntu doesnt start
Thanks ArcEye.

It looks to be he same thing. In going to read the text and see if I can get to a conclusion.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds