Trying to set up stepconf...

More
18 Sep 2012 12:40 #24361 by addisoncs
I got a little mill a few years ago, just a little Zenbot Mini, and used to run it on a different controller program. It was a trial version, though, with limitations. I recently switched a computer to linux, and wondered if there was a linux alternative to that program. I was happy to find LinuxCNC!

I'm trying to run through the stepconf wizard, but I am having a little bit of trouble. I was able to use the Xylotex defaults for most of it, but when it comes to configuring the axes, I am at a loss. I have the documentation for the Zenbot Mini, and it says this:

"The drive pulley diameter on this machine is 11.6 mm or .45669 inches. The circumference of the drive pulley is 1.4347. This means that the motor rotates .69701 turns per inch (1/1.4347). The stepper motors on this machine are a standard 1.8 degree per step motor, which means that there are 200 steps per revolution. Now you just need to know the micro-step settings on your drivers. The formula for calculating the steps per inch is .69701 x 200 x micro-steps/step. For a 1/8 micro-step driver, the formula would be .69701 x 200 x 8 = 1115.216 steps per inch."

Then it gives a table showing the proper steps per inch for various microstepping settings.

The Leadscrew Pitch option says rev/in, so it seems that would just be .69701, wouldn't it? I entered that, and a drive microstepping of 2, and the Axis SCALE readout says 278.8 steps/inch, which is what the manual for the mill said it should be. "Eureka!" I thought. But no. An entry of x1 y1 moves the machine almost exactly 1/4 of an inch.

I feel like I am missing something very simple here, but I just can't imagine what it is. I've never been all that great with math, but had no trouble setting this up last time. If anyone can help I'd be grateful!

If you need any more information, just ask. I don't know much about the machine, only what is in the manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2012 12:57 #24362 by BigJohnT
The simple thing to do is to put 1 in all the boxes and 1115.2 in Motor steps per rev or any combination that results in 1115.2 steps/in.

John

More
18 Sep 2012 13:09 #24364 by addisoncs
I'll try that when I get home from work.
Thanks for the quick reply!

More
18 Sep 2012 15:25 #24376 by andypugh
addisoncs wrote:

The Leadscrew Pitch option says rev/in, so it seems that would just be .69701, wouldn't it? I entered that, and a drive microstepping of 2, and the Axis SCALE readout says 278.8 steps/inch, which is what the manual for the mill said it should be. "Eureka!" I thought. But no. An entry of x1 y1 moves the machine almost exactly 1/4 of an inch.

That sounds like your drive microstepping is actually 8.

More
18 Sep 2012 18:03 #24386 by addisoncs
Set my microstepping to 8, and got the 1115.2 I was looking for. Works great. Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds