Configurate Slave Axis

More
04 Jan 2014 01:56 - 04 Jan 2014 01:59 #42330 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Configurate Slave Axis

Are you saying that this could be done in Linuxcnc and if so would you have the time to point me to the correct way to do it?

Yes, you can do exactly the same thing in LinuxCNC. I don't think that it is 100% the right thing.

It's _nicer_ in the joints_axes4 version of the development branch, but in the current release version you need to set up [AXIS_A] to have the same homing sequence number as [AXIS_Y] (or X, depending on the gantry) then copy and paste the stuff from the configs/gantry/gantry.hal HAL file that mentions gantrykins into your HAL file, replacing the reference to trivkins.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2014 01:59 by andypugh. Reason: Quoted the wrong config file

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2014 02:25 #42331 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Configurate Slave Axis
[quote="andypugh" post=42330
Yes, you can do exactly the same thing in LinuxCNC. I don't think that it is 100% the right thing.[/quote]

Is there a more correct way to do it that you know of or is this the best I can hope for at the present time.

I will have a go with Linuxcnc and see if I can fathom it out. Thanks yet again Andy. ..Clive

More
04 Jan 2014 02:36 #42332 by andypugh

[quote="andypugh" post=42330
Yes, you can do exactly the same thing in LinuxCNC. I don't think that it is 100% the right thing.

Is there a more correct way to do it that you know of or is this the best I can hope for at the present time.[/quote]

Well... I have just been discussing Mach3 and LinuxCNC on the IRC, and it seems that Mach3 might be a little better.

The two packages work in very similar ways, broadly. One difference is that Mach3 apparently stops the first joint that hits a switch until the second joint hits the switch and stops. Then they do a synchronised stop on the latch move too.

At the moment LinuxCNC allows the first side to hit the switch to start it's latch move immediately. This is probably acceptable, as it probably won't make the racking actually any worse, even though the two sides may be travelling in different directions.

Where there is a possibility for things to go wrong with LinuxCNC is the rapid move to the home position after the latch. If one side is doing a rapid and one is still latching, then it could be rather bad. The answer here is to have the HOME position be very close indeed to the latch position, so that the rapid move is tiny.

More
04 Jan 2014 02:48 #42333 by Clive S

Where there is a possibility for things to go wrong with LinuxCNC is the rapid move to the home position after the latch. If one side is doing a rapid and one is still latching, then it could be rather bad. The answer here is to have the HOME position be very close indeed to the latch position, so that the rapid move is tiny.

Thanks for the full explanation Andy that really helps. I do have my home position close to the switches as once homed you can then send it anywhere you like.

I will have to have a good think about it but I hope it is going to be on the a gender for the future. ..Clive

More
04 Jan 2014 06:04 #42334 by mwe
Replied by mwe on topic Configurate Slave Axis
This is a better thread for this discussion so here I am. :silly:
Does anyone have this two drives one axis set up working on a gantry router? Which I suspect would be the most common situation. I wont have anything I could test with until I have a project that needs/forces me to put the router together. (Stored, space limitations) It had a central screw driving the gantry. But that is going away, many issues. So I am while the winter is slowing things down, I am getting up to speed on LinuxCNC. I have to remember that change too. B)

More
04 Jan 2014 06:28 #42335 by andypugh

Does anyone have this two drives one axis set up working on a gantry router?

I don't, but many people do.

You can experiment with how it "feels" using the supplied sample configs.

More
04 Jan 2014 07:38 #42336 by viesturs.lacis

Does anyone have this two drives one axis set up working on a gantry router?

I have built/retrofitted 2 gantry machines for myself and built 3 gantry machines for my customers. What kind of advice is needed?
Basically setting up LInuxCNC for gantry machine is easy. The only difference is loading appropriate kinematics module. Gantrykins is already included, but you always can create your own module to have whatever axis <--> joint mappings you need.
For gantrykins this might be useful to take a look at:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/gantrykins.9.html

Using gantrykins is not that easy. There are several things to take into account for safe use of the machine:
1) pay _special_ attention to remember to switch to world mode after homing not to accidentaly jog machine in joint mode only one of the gantry joints, which, depending on machine, can cause some damage;
2) executing MDI commands by triggering HALUI pins will leave machine in joint mode after command is completed; see previous point for potential consequences; switching to world mode is always available.
I myself have done these mistakes so many times that now I check for 3 times that machine is in correct mode after any of these 2 actions - homing or mdi though halui.
I think that there was something else, but these are things that annoy me most.
Other than that gantrykins does its job nicely.

More
04 Jan 2014 11:45 #42345 by mwe
Replied by mwe on topic Configurate Slave Axis
Thanks for the input. I have looked at gantrykins and understand basically what is going on but need more reading to get a grip on how it plugs into EMC as a whole. I have not looked over joints_axes4, maybe that will wait till I understand more. It just seems to me you wouldn't have to switch to joint mode. home, and then back to Cartesian mode all manually. If joints_axes4 does this home and sync two axis thing automatically then that is the place to start. I sill have much to learn before that point. :unsure:

More
04 Jan 2014 17:11 #42349 by Clive S

Using gantrykins is not that easy. There are several things to take into account for safe use of the machine:
1) pay _special_ attention to remember to switch to world mode after homing not to accidentaly jog machine in joint mode only one of the gantry joints, which, depending on machine, can cause some damage;
2) executing MDI commands by triggering HALUI pins will leave machine in joint mode after command is completed; see previous point for potential consequences; switching to world mode is always available.:

This alone would put me off if it can't be solved with Linuxcnc as it is an accident waiting to happen. It has to be automatic surely :ohmy: ..Clive

More
04 Jan 2014 20:16 #42354 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Configurate Slave Axis
On my gantry machines I do not use gantrykins at all.
I just slave the two axis together in hal, I have solid stops that can be checked to make sure it has not drifted and the machine is parked against them when shutting down.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds