Simulator mode

More
28 Nov 2012 16:06 #27034 by mariusl
Simulator mode was created by mariusl
Hi,
I need to run some complex config in simulator mode. I only installed from the CD and did an online upgrade. Does the standard distro include the simulator mode or must I recompile for that?

Secondly, If I did have to do a custom compile, will I still be able to use the standard distro on the same computer? It is a working computer that runs a machine :)

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2012 17:45 #27037 by awallin
Replied by awallin on topic Simulator mode
Use the version installed from packages for controlling your actual machine.
For testing and simulation, get the source with git, and configure both for simulator and for run-in-place.

Run in place means the git-version you build yourself will not be installed it will just sit in the git-directory and can be run from there.
Follow the instructions from the wiki, and at the configure step do:
./configure --enable-simulator --enable-run-in-place

without run-in-place a normal build + install will likely mess up the linuxcnc version you have installed from CD or packages.

More
28 Nov 2012 17:55 #27038 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Simulator mode

Does the standard distro include the simulator mode or must I recompile for that?

If your computer can run the realtime system, it can run the sims too, the simulator package is really only for hardware that cannot run the realtime kernels.

Just check the configs under the sim tab on the startup config tree and choose the nearest to what you want and start from there.
Alternately, as I suggested before, hack the actual config to allow it to run as a sim.

regards

More
28 Nov 2012 19:08 #27039 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Simulator mode

Does the standard distro include the simulator mode or must I recompile for that?

If your computer can run the realtime system, it can run the sims too, the simulator package is really only for hardware that cannot run the realtime kernels.

Just check the configs under the sim tab on the startup config tree and choose the nearest to what you want and start from there.
Alternately, as I suggested before, hack the actual config to allow it to run as a sim.

regards

Damn, that was not the reply I was hoping for. :) I run a very complex config that has two 5i23, two 7i33 and four 7i37 cards. There are a lot of custom IO, ladder logic and components. The config is arranged in three HAL files or more. Not a usual type of machine. I am under the impression that it would be more effort to get the simulated HAL environment to work than what it would be to do the real thing.
Why cant I just stick to normal stuff??

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
28 Nov 2012 21:00 #27041 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Simulator mode

I am under the impression that it would be more effort to get the simulated HAL environment to work than what it would be to do the real thing

With that kind of setup you might be right. :lol:

If you were going to do a lot of them, you could even program a PLC to simulate a machine connected to the computer, but beyond whatever part you know is tried and proven, you might end up having to do a site visit (unless of course you could get remote access via VNC, with a webcam etc etc................)

More
28 Nov 2012 21:07 #27043 by mariusl
I have to go to site eventually with the setup but I was hoping to debug at least the sanity stuff first. Things like typos, duplicate signals and the like. The logic will have to be tested on the machine anyway.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
28 Nov 2012 22:49 #27052 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Simulator mode

Damn, that was not the reply I was hoping for. :) I run a very complex config that has two 5i23, two 7i33 and four 7i37 cards.

That won't work in "sim" either.

"sim" does not emulate any hardware. It would be possible, in theory, to write a simulated Hostmot2 component, but nobody has.
Without the correct responses from the cards your system won't even start.

A possible workaround (but not trivial) would be to create a some PyVCP control panels and populate them with pins that match the cards.
So, looking at www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/pyvcp.html

You would (optionally) make a hm2_5i23.xml file for the specific firmware config and use this in the HAL file instead of the loadrt hm2_pci etc lines
loadusr -Wn hm2_5i23.0 pyvcp -c hm2_5i23.0 hm2_5i23_svst8_8.xml
loadusr -Wn hm2_5i23.1 pyvcp -c hm2_5i23.1 hm2_5i23_svst8_8.xml

To load two emulated 5i23s.

Then the xml files could use:
<pyvcp>
<led>
<label text="gpio.00.out"/>
<led/>
</pyvcp>

And so on to create (at least) the pins that you use, and preferably all of them.
In your setup I think that all the pins are "owned" by the
You should be able to do a similar thing for each daughter card:
loadusr -Wn hm2_5i23.0. pyvcp -c hm2_5i23.0 hm2_5i23.xml

More
29 Nov 2012 04:53 #27055 by mariusl
Hi Andy,
I do like the idea of the PyVcp although I have a fairly complex custom panel already. Many of the functions that need to be tested are already on the panel. There is a lot of hydraulic and pneumatic functions on the machine that is controlled from the panel. Part of my mission is to automate and synchronize some of these functions. There are three encoders on the X axis that is 30m long. Some of the logic incorporates some of the switch-over code that you shared with me much earlier on in the project. Now is the time to bring all the functions home and let the machine run itself.

The panel idea might also fall down unless I can load more than one panel. I dont even know if that is possible. If so, then that could be a way to go.
I was told today that I might have to construct several more of these monsters so a test environment is a must.

Silly question, could a large component to simulate the Mesa card IO not work instead of trying to simulate HostyMot2? Maybe coupled with a PyVcp to control some internal functions or variables and loop back the command signal as an encoder count. Then I load that instead of the actual Mesa card stuff. So the system will not have a HostMot2 just a component that provided the connectivity. Even if it is just for the signal names.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
29 Nov 2012 05:16 #27056 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Simulator mode

Silly question, could a large component to simulate the Mesa card IO not work instead of trying to simulate HostyMot2?.

That is exactly what I was suggesting. The idea was a standalone PyVCP panel which just happens to have pin names exactly corresponding to the pins created by your 5i23 firmware.
(Things would be more complicated with smart-serial cards, but the same idea could work there too).
The idea of PyVCP was that you can have LEDs for outputs and checkboxes/scrollboxes for inputs, and so manually emulate the cards.
If more complex internal behaviour is needed then it might have to be a GladeVCP panel instead.
(But pyVCP might be easier, as it is likely to be largely a copy-and-paste excercise)

You then just need to comment out the loadrt hostmot2 and loadrt hm2_pci lines and load the floating panels instead.

More
29 Nov 2012 05:30 #27057 by mariusl
So I take it then that I can load multiple PyVcp floating panels?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds