Newport stages advice

More
06 Jan 2013 17:33 #28410 by john286
Dear All,

I am relatively new to cnc programming and control and I would need your advices, maybe some of my questions could be stupid :)
I have a Newport ESP 300 controller with stages which doesn't use G code but a special developed code (assets.newport.com/webDocuments-EN/images/14293.PDF). Of course I have the software from the manufacturer but I am wondering if I can use the stages with LinuxCNC
My questions are:
1. Is LinuxCNC able to work with this controller? I guess it doesn't work with it naturally...
2. How hard it would be for an unexperienced programmer to make an interpreter for the Newport's code instead of the G-code ?
3. If you consider LinuxCNC is not suitable for this, what other possibilities would you recommend me instead of the manufacturer's software ? What I want is to open a 2D drawing (dxf or plt for example or other) and synchronize 2 stages.

Thank you !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 19:20 #28411 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Newport stages advice
Linuxcnc is in it's self the controller , so would replace the Newport esp300 , what you would need would be some stepper drivers and an interface and a power supply , I would suggest a mesa 5i25 and interface add on , however their are cheaper interfaces available .
so it depends on what application you are using it for and is it for work or hobby use etc as to the amount you would spend on refitting

also are you confident in electronics and wiring etc , it would not be difficult as all the connection information is given in the referenced documents

taking a dxf to control and x y stage is not trivial and is a two stage process , using cam software to create gcode then use linuxcnc or other machine controller to take the gcode as input to controller
The following user(s) said Thank You: john286

More
10 Jan 2013 00:36 #28522 by john286
Replied by john286 on topic Newport stages advice
Thank you for your very good advice. I am considering replacing the Newport controller as you suggested me.
Instead of the mesa 5i25 what would you recommend me taking into account a USB interface instead of a PCI one ?
I am confident in my electronics and mechanics skills but I am less confident in my programming skills; In this case what is your advice if I want to have 2 axis control (x and y) and draw with the laser a certain defined image ? I think I can also generate easily a G code for this with a CAM.
Thanks!

More
10 Jan 2013 02:17 - 10 Jan 2013 02:18 #28525 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Newport stages advice
Laser !!! are you looking at rasterising an Image or profile cutting ? co2 laser or laser diode ?

can you describe your machine and your intended use perhaps , so we can better gauge requirements etc ,

Linuxcnc does not support USB , 5i25 is by far the better option at this present time .
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 02:18 by cncbasher.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds