Regarding G-code execution

More
09 Jan 2013 21:12 #28516 by arun6060
Hi to all,

I am new to linuxcnc . i have installed linuxcnc 2.5.1 in 10.04 and executed the samples in the linuxcnc. now i have created one model which is drawn using qcad software and save in .dxf file format and using dxf to g-code converter i have generated the g-code and it is executing in the linuxcnc gui .

Now i want to load the G-code file through (halcmd:) prompt i want to control the stepper motor for cutting the model through command line not in the gui mode .how to do this ?

clear me to proceed further... thanks for repliers...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2013 01:17 #28523 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Regarding G-code execution

Now i want to load the G-code file through (halcmd:) prompt i want to control the stepper motor for cutting the model through command line not in the gui mode .how to do this ?.

I don't think you can do this with halcmd. Halcmd is the HAL command line, and works only with HAL pins.
You can start and stop execution of a loaded G-code file, but not open or close a file.

You probably want linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/linuxcncrsh.1.html or possibly linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man1/axis-remote.1.html

More
10 Jan 2013 13:16 - 10 Jan 2013 13:49 #28534 by arun6060
Replied by arun6060 on topic Regarding G-code execution
Any other way to control stepper motor through command line without using gui.. Thanks for your reply ..

I heard that formerly linuxcnc (EMC2) was using the command line and after that only GUI was developed for easier use of EMC2 users. So, if this statement is correct then, anybody please give details about how to control of the external stepper motors, lathes, etc.. using command line?
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 13:49 by arun6060. Reason: i have missed the main question that need tobe asked

More
10 Jan 2013 17:53 #28541 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Regarding G-code execution

I heard that formerly linuxcnc (EMC2) was using the command line and after that only GUI was developed for easier use of EMC2 users.

I haven't been involved long enough to know if this was ever true.
There is a text-mode GUI ( linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/keystick.html )

please give details about how to control of the external stepper motors, lathes, etc.. using command line?

It rather depends on what you want to do.

With a suitable setup in HAL (which could be achieved either line-by-line with halcmd or from the halrun prompt, or by loading a HAL file with the "source" command) then you can move a stepper simply with
halcmd setp stepgen,0.position-cmd 1000
for example.

More
10 Jan 2013 18:00 #28542 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Regarding G-code execution
AFAIK you heard incorrectly

There were many interfaces originally, but all of them GUI's, relying on calls to underlying library functions.

Most have been deprecated in favour of Axis, because of its more sophisticated plot rendering etc.

You can do quite a lot with the commands that Andy has outlined, but basically you are using remotely, not executing command line executables.
Underlying this is that Linuxcnc / Emc is a complete machine controller designed to run G Code on machines as described in the .ini file, via the interpreter.
A lot of it is inextricably linked.

If you just want to move a stepper motor, you can do this with an arduino and step generator.

If you want to feed lines one by one on the command line and refuse to use a GUI MDI interface for some reason, you can use axis-remote --mdi G00 X56 Y20 etc
or emcrsh as advised

regards

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds