How tight of a corner...

More
20 Jan 2013 20:51 #28866 by jwalter007
I have been trying to cut out a 3D puzzle of a dumptruck from 1/4 plywood.
The first time I cut it, the inside corners wer too round to get everything to fit together.

I thought it might be the 1/8" bit so I tried again with a 1/16"
Same problem, but this time I zoomed in to the display as it cut.
I noticed that while my Gcode cut lines were closer to 90 degree inside edges, the white line drawn by the cutter as it moved thru the program was cutting the corners short.

So now Im wondering if this would a setting with Linux CNC, speed maybe. Or maybe a limitation of my machine itself. It could be the drawing, but since the path wasnt really following the Gcode perfectly I tend to think its not the drawing.
Any ideas?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2013 21:39 - 20 Jan 2013 21:47 #28869 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic How tight of a corner...
this is more to do with creating the gcode via the post processor and in part to the drawing ,
linuxcnc or any controller for that matter , can only follow what it is told .

not knowing the procedure or program you are using to produce the gcode it is difficult to advise , but remember you are using a rotary cutter therefore 90 degree corners need additional processing
without this you can only produce a rounded corner to the radius of the cutter being used

making outside corners more of a 90 deg it's simply a matter of going past the point and moving off , say at 45 deg to become inline for the next cut , this then gives you a square corner
inside corners of course are more difficult and require a small cutter , as you cant cut into the radius of the cutter

remember the line shown in Axis is the line of the centre of the tool Axis , and not the cut path which is essentialy half the cutter width again , so for example the cutter would stop 1/4" ( cutter radius ) short in a corner if using a 1/2" cutter
this can at times be confusing hence why if cutting say into a 45 deg corner the backplat would show a sharp corner , but the work would have a radius determined by the cutter
Last edit: 20 Jan 2013 21:47 by cncbasher.

More
20 Jan 2013 21:43 #28870 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic How tight of a corner...
If you didn't specifiy the trajectory control in your preamble of the G code then you get the default G64 = try to go as fast as told and cut corners as needed to maintain speed.

The user concepts chapter is IMHO the most important chapter to read before cutting anything.

In addition I have a G code tutorial that might also help.

John

More
22 Jan 2013 00:27 #28923 by jwalter007
Replied by jwalter007 on topic How tight of a corner...
Thanks for responding.
Im extremely new to this. My skill in all areas are very limited.
Ill def review those links.
I draw in Sketchup & use a script, sketchucam, to gen the Gcode.
I think I can draw plunge points or circles around the corners to solve the prob.
Ill read & experiment further.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds