Is it even possible for me?

More
01 Feb 2013 05:14 #29402 by GoingForGold
Hi!

I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out how to get all this to work for me. So I thought it would a bit easier if you could help me quick, rather than spending anymore evenings on researching and not finding out anything.

I am building a 3 axis CNC and looking for the best controlling system.

I'd love to use LinuxCNC, but I don't have a computer with a serial output. So is it possible to "fake" a serial port with an adapter cable from USB to a serial (or was it parallel?) socket?

I found loads of electronics and also the compatible hardware page, but I'm still not sure what I actually need. I found some DIY stepper drivers, but will I need like a controller board in addition to the drivers?

If you look on ebay, you can find loads of controller boards, like this . Would something like this also work?

I dont like to spend lots of money on electronics if there are DIY possibilities. Not for the sake of the money, but for DIYing.

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2013 07:57 #29410 by alan_3301
If you like your hair and your sanity I'd stay away from that board you linked. (So I've heard)
If you dont have a parallel port, then you can add an expansion card with a parallel port. Search pci parallel port card (or pci express if thats what your board uses)
USB converters wont work.
If you want to go cheap and DIY, then look at hobbycnc driver boards.
If you want to get up and running with a nice system that you wont want to upgrade in 2 weeks, then look up gecko g540.

Go ahead and download the linuxcnc livecd and run the latency test to see if your computer is suitable.

More
01 Feb 2013 08:12 #29411 by BigJohnT
The Mesa 5i25 and Gecko G540 is a popular low voltage stepper system. Unless your really strapped for cash and have all the time in the world to play I'd avoid the really cheap boards like the TB6560 as I understand it depends on what color the board is if they work right and some need modifications just to get them to work.

John

Time to create page: 2.394 seconds