Floating Head, Probe, LinuxCNC Preview

More
01 Feb 2013 11:42 - 01 Feb 2013 21:45 #29424 by Paul
Hello,

I am working on setting up my floating head for a plasma cutter. I have my G38.2 Z-10 F500 and G92 Z0.0 and it seems to work as expected. What I didn't expect is the LinuxCNC preview of the Z axis. Each probe move stair-steps the Z axis further down due to the probe move. Is there anything I can do so the preview displays correctly? Thank you!

Paul
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 21:45 by Paul. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2013 20:34 #29436 by BigJohnT
That's what it does on my plasma but I use the Z view anyhow as it is only X Y profile that I'm interested in looking at.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul

More
01 Feb 2013 21:43 #29442 by Paul
Well, if it does it on yours, then it can surely do it on mine. I didn't know if I had something set wrong and am modifing a CNC router so I had LinuxCNC showing an isometric view.

Makes sense to use the Z view. Thanks John!

PK

More
01 Feb 2013 22:28 #29444 by BigJohnT
Another thing I use G92 offsets on my plasma by jogging to my start position then my touchoff subroutine finds the material height and sets the Z offset then fires up the torch.

gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

John

More
02 Feb 2013 08:29 #29461 by Paul
Yes - And thank you for that, too. I found your code earlier in life and just now have portions of it in my sheetcam post processor.

More
02 Feb 2013 19:32 #29478 by BigJohnT
One thing that just dawned on me when I thought about this a bit is the back plot is what you programed as the control has no idea where you will touch off at so it just shows the length of the probe move. If you do a Z probe of 10" vs 2" the back plot will change to reflect the length of the probe move.

John

More
02 Feb 2013 21:54 #29490 by Paul
OK - That would explain it. And it probably doesn't matter now because of using the Z view, but wondered if there was a setting in LinuxCNC to disregard the probe code because of the necessary probe length in order to cover the full range of a machines Z distance.

I do feel better that it happens on yours, too. That's good enough for me.
PK

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds