adding laser to my router questions

More
24 Apr 2010 00:09 #2662 by cwebs
I would like to make a laser from a DVD burner and chuck it up in the router. Using the router configuration. How should I turn the laser on and off? And what would the gcode be for the laser on and off comand? I assume it would be in place of the Z gcode. I am just getting started to add this to my machine and looking for info to go in the right direction. Thanks Carl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2010 10:45 #2667 by Rick G
Try Spindle on and off control M3 M5 also check the quick reference for G codes.

Rick G

More
25 Apr 2010 10:57 #2692 by Rick G
From a previous post speaking of of pen plotter....
Hello,

You might try startting with a xyz. Then edit the z axis. The direction pin should go high or low based on the z direction, up or down. Use the z axis direction pin connected to your break out board to activate a relay to control the solenoid. You could also usa hal to control another pin that activates the relay when z is a negative number. Depending on how you are writing the g code if there can be a spindle on/of command when the pen is raised or lowered you could use the spindle signal and realy to turn the solenoid on and off.

Rick G

More
25 Apr 2010 11:38 #2693 by cwebs
It is looking like the M3 and M5 might be the easiest way to insert the laser on and off. I do have a solid state relay on the router and have a spare one that I can use for the laser. Now to find out haw to make the laser. Thanks Carl

More
26 Apr 2010 19:13 #2722 by cwebs
It is so simple I should have thought of it sooner. I will mount my laser eather in the router chuck or on the Z axis frame. I will then have a micro switch arranged so that when Z moves down to engrave it will hit the micro switch turning on the laser burner. After the letter is burned the Z will move up to safe Z turning off the laser moving to the next letter. Repeating untill engraving gcode is done. No software problems or recoding! Runs right from engraving gcode! What do you guys think? Some times easer is better. Carl

More
28 Apr 2010 09:57 #2728 by Rick G
Never worked with a laser myself. It seems in theory if you are only burning letters on a flat surface you would not need to move the z axis up and down between letters. Would the delay of the laser being turned on and off by the switch at the beginning and the end of the letter cause the beginning or the end to be lighter/darker than the rest of the letter? You might want to look at how the plasma cutters are set up.

Rick G

More
28 Apr 2010 10:32 #2729 by cwebs
We'll see after I get it working. By moving the micro switch up or down will turn the laser on sooner or later if that is needed.

More
21 May 2010 00:05 #2938 by Gegsite
Hi,

Can you write a really detailed (maybe with pictures) article about, how did you do that from a dvd burner?
I already broken 4 pieces of dvd burner diode...

More
21 May 2010 00:17 - 21 May 2010 00:20 #2939 by cwebs
I broke mine also LOL. I have ordered a burning diode with driver. It came and was defective and new one is in the mail. The first way I will set it up is to mount it on the Z carrage with micro switch turning power on and off as the Z travels up and down. Using engraving gcode. Using the plunge feed speed to turn the diode on before XY movement. The Z up feed is much faster turning off diode so as not to burn hole. I will make this work with a few tweaks. Doing it this way I will NOT need to edit the engraving gcode. For what it's worth. Carl
Last edit: 21 May 2010 00:20 by cwebs.

More
21 May 2010 08:41 #2944 by Gegsite
I mean the laser and the driver, what type from where how much.

[When I will have a burning a stable working laser then I mount it to the Z
and I thin I will turn it on off with the M08 and M09 (cooling).]

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds