Do Not Update Ubuntu LTS? -confusion

More
11 Jul 2013 21:25 #36559 by nquantum
I've read about download and installation."Do Not Update Ubuntu LTS" @download page of LinuxCNC

Also "Do not upgrade Ubuntu to a new but non-LTS version (like 8.04 to 8.10) as it will prevent LinuxCNC from running." @getting start manual

So it mean I can't "upgrade" Ubuntu LTS to another version aside from what I've installed from image. But I still can "update" to any packages that available in update manager without problem.
Am I right?

I try to google to find that whether if I can update other packages aside from LinuxCNC after I installed it or not. Or only I can update package LinuxCNC , the other packages leave un-touch. So far I don't found clearly answer.

hope I can get here thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2013 22:23 #36560 by ArcEye
Hi

Simply put, the issue is the rtai kernel that supports Linuxcnc.
It is based upon the kernel in the LTS version

The upgrade will change the kernel to a non-rtai kernel and linuxcnc will cease to work

You can update other packages, so long as you ensure that you do not update the kernel, kernel headers etc

This just means do not do any unattended updates, look through what is going to be changed and make sure it is OK before pressing the button

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: nquantum

More
11 Jul 2013 22:23 #36561 by BigJohnT
Yes, you can update anything except the operating system.

JT

More
11 Jul 2013 22:50 - 11 Jul 2013 22:53 #36564 by nquantum
hahaha so fast respond thank you so much!!, still my fingers is super fast!! :woohoo:

I've hit update everything already!!! Just to try it. :laugh:
Now updating is in progress.

I'm new for Linux also LinuxCNC/EMC. I'd like to learn both of them that another reason I try EMC.

Yes, you can update anything except the operating system.

JT

I'm not sure my update isn't update "operating system" in your term , BigJohnT

But I'm sure I'm not "upgrade" kernel. I've shown the "upgrade-button" in synaptic package manager. I'm not touching it. And I also selected "Never" for Release Upgrade in synaptic as well. -ArcEye

I don't know this will work or not.
Is this gonna be alright? well..if it doesn't I plan to re-format and install new. :blush:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2013 22:53 by nquantum.

More
12 Jul 2013 01:19 - 12 Jul 2013 01:21 #36577 by nquantum
update:
now I've finished update all the thing in update manager.
no more other update.

I've test in Latency test. Result is still similar the same. And I try LinuxCNC and appear to be alright! :woohoo:
So that I guess no problem.

Since I'm newbie in both Linux and LinuxCNC. So:
Is this right thing people LinuxCNC do? After new install LinuxCNC from image cd. Then update LinuxCNC package including every packages of Ubuntu itself? Or they usually update LinuxCNC package only and leave other packages un-touch?

Thank
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 01:21 by nquantum.

More
12 Jul 2013 02:37 #36580 by BigJohnT
If you have an internet connection you will get updates to LinuxCNC and other software on your computer. It is normal to keep everything up to date except the operating system (Ubuntu itself).

From the main menu go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, in the Package Manager go to Settings > Repositories then on the Updates tab change Show New distribution releases to Never and you won't upgrade Ubuntu by accident... I could never understand why the LiveCD is not set this way.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: nquantum

More
12 Jul 2013 11:12 #36586 by nquantum
thank you I've set it to Never now.

It is normal to keep everything up to date except the operating system (Ubuntu itself).

To this message u mean. Every packages I can "update" ......
except Ubuntu "upgrade" for example Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS -> 12.04 LTS or 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 that I can not right? Am I understand correct?

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds