Using LinuxCNC as a simulator for a Fanuc Lathe,

More
13 Jul 2013 10:52 #36618 by scubasteve1
Hello, I'm new to Linux and LinuxCNC, but am checking on a bit. I've tried looking for info on modifying the linuxcnc control's logic a bit, and changing some G-codes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to build a profile to simulate my lathe, so I can program, edit, debug, and simulate all in one monitor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2013 17:25 #36620 by ArcEye
Hi

Before you get into this I would look at the G Codes that Linuxcnc uses
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/gcode/gcode.html

Although it is based on the same standard as fanuc uses, there are some major omissions where a lathe is concerned, G71 and G72 especially.
Linuxcnc also does not use line numbers, so numbered blocks are meaningless to it.

If you use these codes heavily, you will have to write the interpreter code yourself to use them and probably use the G Code remapping facility in the master do do some of it
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/remap/structure.html

I get around this by using ngcgui to allow the finished profile to be described and call subroutines to do the decrementing of values down to finished size.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on G71 and G72 recently, search on that and you will see.

regards

More
15 Jul 2013 11:13 #36654 by scubasteve1
I'm not worried about using g70 and g71, or usings sequance numbers/numbered lines at all really. For starters I would like to try to mimick the existing controls for Fanuc 0T, as they still work great and I'm not in a position to retro fit the lathes yet. Mostly to see if I miss a decimal or something and I can catch that on the simulator... :ohmy:

It looks like I'll have to brush up on Python some in order to change the control?

More
15 Jul 2013 19:01 #36668 by andypugh

I'm not worried about using g70 and g71, or usings sequance numbers/numbered lines at all really. For starters I would like to try to mimick the existing controls for Fanuc 0T, as they still work great and I'm not in a position to retro fit the lathes yet. Mostly to see if I miss a decimal or something

In that mode the current LinuxCNC should just work.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds