Simulator mode

More
17 Jul 2013 08:21 #36727 by ericg
Simulator mode was created by ericg
Hi,

I just recently installed linuxcnc in simulator mode in ubuntu 12.04 64bit,

It is in a folder /git/linuxcnc and then I run scripts/linuxcnc and it seems to start OK but I'm a bit lost from there.

I have in addition to the standard X,Y,Z, co-ordinates, a lot of other Gcode text on the screen, is this normal?, if not how do I remove it?

Also where to I find the standard config files such as stepconf wizard or the HAL files etc for setting up my virtual machine parameters? I cannot run the standard startup gcode as it tells me "Program exceeds machine maximum on axis Z"

As you can gather, I'm a total newbie to all this so any help appreciated, even if it is to point me to the appropriate documentation.

Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2013 16:26 #36742 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Simulator mode
Hi

You need to start by saying which sim config you started with from the config picker dialog.

I have in addition to the standard X,Y,Z, co-ordinates, a lot of other Gcode text on the screen, is this normal?, if not how do I remove it?

Can only guess these are the readouts from other axes, distance to go etc

If you choose sim > axis > axis_mm it should hopefully just give you 3 axes plus velocity readout

Also where to I find the standard config files such as stepconf wizard or the HAL files etc for setting up my virtual machine parameters

Stepconf makes no sense for a sim, there is no machine to set up.

Assuming you have a normal directory structure (no idea why it is in a dir called /git ) then the config files you are opening from the config picker are in configs

If you copy the config you are using into ~/linuxcnc/configs/named-dir the config picker will detect it and offer you the choice of using your local config
You can then modify what you want within that config and test it, by editting the hal and ini files.

If you are completely new, I should just pick the config that most nearly equates to your machine and stick with that
eg axis or axis_mm will be a 3 axis mill

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds