Auto Z axis adjustment during operation

More
15 Aug 2013 04:11 #37682 by cotang
Hello,

I have a custom CNC machine that works pretty good up to +/- 5 thou. The only thing is that it's a mixture of wood and metal (my next build will be full metal), the bed of the machine is wood and from 0 X to 13 X (inches across) there is a +/- 40 thou difference in height. I was wondering if there is a way to calibrate LINUXCNC so that if you know the height different from the zero point of X and the height difference at the full bed travel, then linuxcnc can auto adjust the the Z height during run operation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2013 17:29 - 15 Aug 2013 17:30 #37696 by Rick G
This has come up before.
However what I do with a wood bed is set up light milling passes and run over the entire bed so that the bed is flat and true.

Rick G
Last edit: 15 Aug 2013 17:30 by Rick G.

More
15 Aug 2013 18:40 #37702 by andypugh

I was wondering if there is a way to calibrate LINUXCNC so that if you know the height different from the zero point of X and the height difference at the full bed travel, then linuxcnc can auto adjust the the Z height during run operation.

Yes: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProbeKins

In your situation you would probably want to create the STL file by hand (they are a simple text format) so you can ignore the probing part.

More
15 Aug 2013 19:16 #37711 by BigJohnT
If you have a simple axis tilt and it is parallel along the Y then you could use a compensation table for Z I think.

JT

More
15 Aug 2013 23:01 #37715 by cotang
Thanks, I knew there was something. I'll look into all your suggestion to see which would fit for me.

Thanks.

More
16 Aug 2013 04:36 #37724 by f1oat
Here you can find a solution www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...y-error-compensation
It works if the flatness of the bed is good

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds