Shortcut to Windows shared folder possible?

More
19 Sep 2013 23:12 #39025 by vgraves
When selecting a .ngc file to open, the AXIS browser takes you to the ~/linuxcnc/nc_files folder. I have Windows server on my network where I keep the g-code files and their source Vectric files. This allows me to edit the CAD or CAM files from multiple machines.

I can access this server folder using Places and can save the share as a "favorite". What I'd like to be able to do is create a shortcut to that network folder within my nc_files folder so that I wouldn't have to copy and paste the g-code files into the nc_files folder outside of AXIS, but could instead open them directly from within the AXIS file browser.

I've tried to create a link using both the LinuxCNC GUI as well as with a terminal console, but so far I haven't been able to do so. Anyone know how to link to a SMB share?

Thanks,
Van

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2013 01:40 #39035 by andypugh

Anyone know how to link to a SMB share?

I think you would need to add an entry to the /etc/fstab file.

wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

More
20 Sep 2013 01:54 #39037 by BigJohnT
I generate G code files often on my windoze computer and have a right click option to send it to the nc_files directory on the mill or lathe.

JT

More
20 Sep 2013 04:55 #39044 by vgraves
I tried following the instructions given in the wiki. The cifs-utils does not exist, so I tried the smbfs, and it installed. After editing the /etc/fstab file I could not get the mount command to work. Said it could not resolve the host name.

More
20 Sep 2013 04:58 #39045 by vgraves
John, that would work except my LinuxCNC machine is only a machine controller and not always powered on (and in a separate building from my primary windows machine). So I need to pull files over the network with the linux machine instead of pushing files to it.

More
20 Sep 2013 05:33 #39048 by andypugh

I tried following the instructions given in the wiki. The cifs-utils does not exist, so I tried the smbfs, and it installed. After editing the /etc/fstab file I could not get the mount command to work. Said it could not resolve the host name.

This is a Linux question rather than a LinuxCNC question, so you might get better help on a more general forum.

What I find useful in these situations is to google the exact error message.

More
20 Sep 2013 14:41 - 20 Sep 2013 14:44 #39061 by ArcEye
Hi

I think these links should cover auto mounting a share at boot

askubuntu.com/questions/157128/proper-fs...-samba-share-on-boot

www.ghacks.net/2009/04/19/auto-mounting-a-samba-share-in-linux/

It is not quite as simple as making a fstab entry, but not too much more involved

Then you just make a symlink to that mounted folder from your ~/linuxcnc/ngc folder or whatever

regards
Last edit: 20 Sep 2013 14:44 by ArcEye.

More
07 Oct 2013 07:51 #39607 by vgraves
Just to close this thread, I was able to get a permanent mounting of a windows share working.

The general process is given in the links above. I did find that the cifs does not work for Ubuntu 10.04, so I used the smbfs method. The other trick was that I had to use the IP address of my windows machine (i.e., 192.168.1.100) rather than its network name in the /etc/fstab entry.

Works great. I now see a folder named server_cnc under my nc_files folder, so it's immediately available with the LinuxCNC Open command. I can browse to the server and open the .ngc files directly without having to copy them to the nc_files folder separately.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds