Robotic arm perpendicular to surface

More
27 Sep 2013 21:56 #39269 by guillemausio
Hello,
I study industrial engineering and I'm going to do a hot wire cutting machine mounted on a 6-axis robotic arm as my final project.
I need a software that allows me to do the cnc program while keeping the robot perpendicular to the surface.
Can you tell me if LinuxCNC is able to do this?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2013 23:38 #39275 by BigJohnT
LinuxCNC can control up to 9 axes of coordinated motion.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: guillemausio

More
28 Sep 2013 02:13 #39285 by andypugh

Hello,
I study industrial engineering and I'm going to do a hot wire cutting machine mounted on a 6-axis robotic arm as my final project.
I need a software that allows me to do the cnc program while keeping the robot perpendicular to the surface.

If you are asking whether LinuxCNC can perform coordinated moves of a robot arm to achieve straight-line moves in cartesian space then the answer is "yes"

Not the best example of a linuxCNC controlled robot arm, but this video is running conventional XYZ G-code (the LinuxCNC splash screen)

More
28 Sep 2013 02:31 #39286 by guillemausio
My question is if the robot can be programed to keep the axis of a mill perpendicular to the surface that is milling

More
28 Sep 2013 02:52 #39287 by andypugh

My question is if the robot can be programed to keep the axis of a mill perpendicular to the surface that is milling

And the answer is "Yes".

For an Industrial Engineering project I think you will find that LinuxCNC is the right choice, because if there is anything in the software that doesn't do what you want, you can change it.

I suggest you download the LiveCD from this web site, boot a PC from it (any PC, you don't need to install anything, you can run from the CD) and then start LinuxCNC from the menu, then choose the Sample-Configs -> Puma -> Puma config
Then re-arrange the windows so that you can see both the Axis GUI and the simulated machine.
You can rotate the simulated robot picture with Shift-drag (keyboard and mouse together) and move it about with click-drag.
Then press the home-all button.
Move both jog-speed sliders to higher numbers.
You can now select each axis and jog it with the +/- buttons. (In "Joint Mode" at this point)

Now select View -> World Mode
The axes change to XYZ

Now you can jog the tool-tip in XYZ space.

I think you will like what you see :-)

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds