sudden runtime/latency issue

More
09 Oct 2013 11:34 #39666 by somenewguy
So fresh install 10.04 on an older machine. latency on install was 15 uS or so, better than expected. I did some work for a few hours, made some cuts and played with the system, got homing setup etc etc. I then did a full update (all packages, not an upgrade) and thigns seemed to remain peachy. I then noticed I had a propriatery driver available (to get internet I had to share the network w/ alaptop since the pc has a bad wifi card) so I whent ahead and let that take over, Nvidia 5700 if memory servs me properly was what got loaded up, I don't have it infront of me now. Now when I open up Axis I get a error saying the realtime thread is too slow or unexpected delay, sorry I forget the exact wording but I assume yall know the message I am talking about.

I assume I should just disable the propriatary driver, I just had assumed there would be benefits to being able to utilize 3d accel and whatnot on the card. Is there a workaround and is this worth persuing, or just revert to the open driver and enjoy my machine?

Hopefully I will find a power supply to donate to the router tonight and can have wifi in the shop and be able to correect any misinformation in this post, and finally install a joystick!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2013 15:35 #39676 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic sudden runtime/latency issue

Is there a workaround and is this worth persuing, or just revert to the open driver and enjoy my machine?

The latter.

Proprietary closed source drivers are written for gaming and fast graphics in mind and nvidia is perhaps the worst for completely screwing up latency.
Its implementation of GLX affects other software badly as well.

Just go back to nv or whatever driver was previously used, Axis is written in clunky 1990s libraries, it does not need bleeding edge drivers, they won't work as well and Axis will still be ugly.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: somenewguy

More
09 Oct 2013 17:57 #39682 by BigJohnT
Often an older PC runs better on 8.04 than 10.04.

JT

More
10 Oct 2013 00:43 #39706 by somenewguy
reverted, rebooted and back to normal. I wasn't sure if rendering the tool path would enjoy 3d accel so that was why I tried it. If I run 804 will I still get linuxcnc 2.5? the machien seems to be working fine, and I prefere to run newest I can, but if I have any odd issues that will be the first fix I try.

More
10 Oct 2013 02:59 #39712 by BigJohnT
If the computer runs fine (good latency) on 10.04 there is no reason to try 8.04. Either version will run 2.5.x.

JT

More
10 Oct 2013 06:58 #39722 by somenewguy
latency is good enough, no reason to expect a big improvement with 8.04 I would think. 18000 us i think is what it ended out being. Thanks for the help gusy.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds