Brand New LinuxCNC setup - advice welcome!

More
10 Oct 2013 16:50 #39727 by Selvaswami
Hi, everyone;

I've just bought a CNC router with a 4th axis unit from DigitalWoodCarver.com -- WITHOUT his usual Windows software -- because I hate Windows in a serious way. His CNC unit just needs to talk Gecko G540, he says, and it's happy. His typical setup is to do your CAD CAM work on another computer, take a USB stick over to the desktop driving the router and input the g-code. Sounds good to me.

I run 7 computers at my house, all Ubuntu 12.04 at the moment. One of them needs to have good CAD CAM software installed that will let me create the g-code to carry over to the router. I could use some advice on what that software should be.

And I have the next three weeks to decide on a desktop computer to drive the CNC router. I have a dustproof cabinet for it, and assume it will run Ubuntu 10.04 more or less permanently. All it will do is talk to the router, via parallel or USB, whichever actually does the job best. Remember, I have a little turning lathe to drive, too, if that matters to the setup.

Between my working desktop where I spend much of my day, and this new CNC driver computer, I need to gather up the software, cards, RAM, and any other components I'll need to get rolling with the CNC router. I'd like to go with things this community has actually tested and proven.

What choices would you make if you were starting from scratch, gentlemen?

Thanks,

Selvaswami

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2013 17:30 - 10 Oct 2013 17:30 #39729 by ArcEye
Hi

I run 7 computers at my house, all Ubuntu 12.04 at the moment.
And I have the next three weeks to decide on a desktop computer to drive the CNC router.

As a quick start to decide which computers seem suitable, download the 10.04 Live CD iso and burn it.
Then run it from the CD on each of your computers with a parallel port and do the latency-test.

That should quickly narrow down which is the most promising

Make and model does not always help much, manufacturers are forever changing specs and chipsets within a model range.

regards
Last edit: 10 Oct 2013 17:30 by ArcEye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selvaswami

More
10 Oct 2013 18:23 #39730 by andypugh

And I have the next three weeks to decide on a desktop computer to drive the CNC router. I have a dustproof cabinet for it, and assume it will run Ubuntu 10.04 more or less permanently. All it will do is talk to the router, via parallel or USB, whichever actually does the job best.

With LinuxCNC there is no option to use USB (And for that matter, nor is there with the G540).
So your (easy) options are either a parallel port (onboard or PCI) or the Mesa 5i25. The 5i25 looks like a PCI parallel port but has an onboard FPGA which works with LinuxCNC to create extremely fast and accurate step pulses. There is a specifc firmware for the FPGA for controlling the G540. The 5i25 costs $80, and so I can't see any point in buying an add-on parallel port card instead. But you might as well try with the onboard port if you have one. Note that the 5i25 is a _lot_ more than a parallel-port emulator, that is just one of its tricks.

But, as ArcEye said, first try booting all the machines you have from the LiveCD to see which have reasonable latency.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selvaswami

More
10 Oct 2013 19:58 #39735 by Selvaswami
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The seven Ubuntu computers in my shop are defended to the death by their operators, so none of those are going to be experimented with. Mine will load the CAD CAM software, so I hope it does not need to be downgraded to Ubuntu 10.04. I'll build a second box just for it if that is the case.

One thing I did come across in my web reading is that Nvidia cards and drivers aren't the best for CAD CAM. They cause problems. It didn't say what or why.

Is this so? Is there a better graphics card to choose?

Thanks again,

Selvaswami

More
10 Oct 2013 20:59 #39736 by andypugh

One thing I did come across in my web reading is that Nvidia cards and drivers aren't the best for CAD CAM. They cause problems. It didn't say what or why.
Is this so? Is there a better graphics card to choose?

For the CNC controller box you probably don't need any graphics card at all. I am not sure what the preferred/cheapest mini-ITX board is now, the old standard reply of D525MW looks to have become unavailable.

For CAD/CAM you may want something high-end and 3D. But then maybe not, I run Inventor (under windows) on my work Laptop with no trouble at all.

I hate to say this, but the software choice for CAD and CAM is a _lot_ better in Windows than either Linux or Mac.

More
12 Oct 2013 23:34 #39801 by somenewguy
+1 on what andy said. I am goign to try out a linux CAD software that has been around forever apparently and I have just never heard of it, VariCad. Starting my trial now and will see how it is. I played with alibre which is decent, but varicad runs on aALL OSes, so that wins big big points in my book. Migrating over to a cheap package from SW is gonna be rough tho.

More
13 Oct 2013 01:32 #39804 by andypugh
I just remembered another 3D CAD package that has a Linux version:
www.webersys.com

Looks OK from what little I have seen.

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds