New to CNC machines, have some questions.

More
17 Oct 2013 14:53 #39996 by leonvnoord
Hello all,

I am new to CNC machines. I have some trouble understanding some parts of how they work.
I have been doing some research, but some things are not clear to me.
My goal is to control a laser cutting machine from an embedded system.

From what I understand, I can let my embedded system generate G-code and then it can be interpreted by a CNC controller like LinuxCNC.
My first question is if this is correct.

My second question is how the G-code is read by CNC controllers. Is this by reading a 'G-code file' or can the G-codes be 'pushed' to a controller, so I would not need an interface for the controller, but only for my embedded system.

I hope you can help me clear things up. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2013 17:55 #40000 by BigJohnT
LinuxCNC uses a file with G code to control the machine.

You could use HAL components to control the machine directly.

JT

More
20 Oct 2013 15:17 #40077 by shopjock
I have a general question.

My DIY machine is 99% complete now. I have used FreeCad to design my first proto-types which will actually just small improvements to make my machine more rigid. Hopefully someone else out there has or is familiar with freecad.

so my question is how do i get linuxcnc to use the freecad file, and generate g-code for my millining machine.

I do also have blender installed but not yet spent any time familiarizing with it.

Do I need to import this freecad file to blender? Or can i Just import directly from linuxcnc using HAL components?

any input would be great.

More
20 Oct 2013 19:53 #40085 by BigJohnT
LinuxCNC needs a G code file not a CAD file to run. Depending on the shape of your part it is often easier to just type the G code file you need. Also often you can use a simple G code generator from the wiki page to generate your G code.

A good primer on G code is on my web site.
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: shopjock

More
20 Oct 2013 20:02 #40086 by shopjock
Thank you for the response BigJohnT...

I guess i kind of formulated my question wrong.

How do I convert my cad file to usable G-code for my machine? May have been a better question.

More
20 Oct 2013 20:17 #40087 by emcPT
CAM programs do what you want.
If your parts are simple, hand written is also a good method.

More
20 Oct 2013 20:24 #40089 by BigJohnT
That depends on the complexity of your CAD file. Is it 2-d milling a profile and drilling some holes or full 3-D milling? Can you attach a screen shot of the part?

As for Linux CAM software it is a bit lacking. There are some listed on the wiki site but I've never got any to work that I tried.

JT

More
21 Oct 2013 12:36 - 21 Oct 2013 15:30 #40118 by shopjock
I hope this file attached correctly.

its not exactly a complex design.

after I finish upgrades on the machine I will probably purchase V-carve which from what I understand is an all in one program that suites my needs for this hobby machine.

File Attachment:

The PDF is from "myDIYCNC" construction manual. behind it is my rendering of the part that I want to make in freecad.

As I understand it BlenderCam can convert to G-code for linuxcnc. Is That correct?

Again Thank you all for your helpful input, This has been a great learning experience for me and I cant wait to apply this to my wood working hobbies.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2013 15:30 by shopjock.

More
21 Oct 2013 19:06 #40125 by BigJohnT
No need for CAM for parts like that. I assume there is two blocks and most of the work will be squaring and sizing the blocks then drilling holes. Pin the two blocks together with a spacer and drill the larger hole in both pieces at the same time. You can use G0/G1 to do all the Ops on that part. Although G81 is worth learning for that part as well.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/machining/squaring.html

JT

More
22 Oct 2013 06:31 #40155 by andypugh

so my question is how do i get linuxcnc to use the freecad file, and generate g-code for my millining machine..

In an Ideal world you would use the FreeCAD CAM module, but it hasn't been written yet:
www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=CAM_project

You should be able to download and install pyCAM and load your CAD model into that to create G-code.

Another possibility is HeeksCNC (which I think is sort-of working, though I believe the development effort has shifted to FreeCAD.)

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds