Hole centres

More
18 Oct 2013 23:59 #40049 by bill516
Hole centres was created by bill516
Tried the search function but it does not want to play, or I'm too impatient.

Scenario is I've made a few items all the same but I've made a hole the wrong diameter, too small. Whats the best way to find the centre of the hole so I can re-cut to the correct diameter, at least for the first item all the others I could just set up a frame on the bed from the first to position them.

BTW I havn't done it its a pretend situation.

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2013 06:06 #40056 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hole centres

Scenario is I've made a few items all the same but I've made a hole the wrong diameter, too small. Whats the best way to find the centre of the hole so I can re-cut to the correct diameter,

it depends on what you have available.

I would use my Renishaw probe to find the centre. (using the handy sample probing routine supplied with LinuxCNC)

If you don't have one, the you can use a coaxial dial indicator.

If you don't have one, then you can use a normal dial indicator, and acrobatics.

or you can put the work on the bed loose and carefully lower a lathe centre (or centre drill) into the hole, then clamp it when the centre has located it in place.

A spindle-mounted camera is another alternative (and rather cheap now, about $10 and some machining)

More
19 Oct 2013 17:36 #40060 by bill516
Replied by bill516 on topic Hole centres
Thanks Andy I should have been a bit more specific in that the hole dia is for instance more than 15mm or larger than the largest drill you have so you cant stick it on a drill press to open the hole up.

I'm still new to this CNC game so I'm on a learning curve. I assume that the probe method checks at various positions then extrapolates the centre from that, I was thinking of making a probe so it looks like I might have to. I've never heard of a co-axial dial indicator. The camera method is also new on me so I'll have a google.

More
19 Oct 2013 17:43 #40061 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Hole centres

The camera method is also new on me so I'll have a google.

There is a huge thread here on using a webcam, hopefully pasha's site is back up

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...other-tab-for-webcam

More
19 Oct 2013 18:11 #40062 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Hole centres

I assume that the probe method checks at various positions then extrapolates the centre from that,

I've never heard of a co-axial dial indicator.

More
20 Oct 2013 00:18 #40070 by bill516
Replied by bill516 on topic Hole centres
Thanks Any and ArcEye I'll have a proper look at the link and vids tomorrow got to go to theater tonight

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds