RetroFit Design/Project

More
25 Oct 2013 20:12 #40286 by pmcstoneinc
Hello I am looking at implementing LinuxCNC on and older style machine with DOS controllers. I like the features that come with software, my big question is how customizable is LinuxCNC? Example,

Is it possible to make the interface/program boot up automatically on start up?

Is there a way to strip down any user settings once the interface is configured with all necessary hardware, like a admin/end user setting. I plan on making this interface for end users and I do not want them messing with settings already setup, so I guess like an OEM feature?

Going to ask about hardware real quick too, the existing machines run with a rapid movement of 60,000mm/min and a max federate of 10,000mm/min will LinuxCNC be able to take this on? These are servo driven machines with differential encoders (A /A, B /B. Z /Z).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2013 22:13 #40288 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic RetroFit Design/Project
Hi

Is it possible to make the interface/program boot up automatically on start up?

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/common/...l#_automatic_startup

Is there a way to strip down any user settings once the interface is configured with all necessary hardware, like a admin/end user setting. I plan on making this interface for end users and I do not want them messing with settings already setup, so I guess like an OEM feature?

The configs govern the max velocities etc etc and cannot be altered without halting, editing the configs and restarting Linuxcnc.
So long as you create a user group which only has permissions for Linuxcnc and is denied editors, file managers etc, you can eliminate a lot of meddling.

However Linuxcnc is designed for technical minded enthusiasts, not worker drones, so it is difficult to eliminate all options.
You would need to modify Axis and remove all the menu items you did not wish to have available and then test for any conflicts.
Being open-source this is always a possibility.

Going to ask about hardware real quick too, the existing machines run with a rapid movement of 60,000mm/min and a max federate of 10,000mm/min will LinuxCNC be able to take this on? These are servo driven machines with differential encoders (A /A, B /B. Z /Z).

The limit is what the machine is capable of not Linuxcnc. With the correct interface hardware, it can certainly do anything DOS could.

regards

More
25 Oct 2013 22:41 #40290 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic RetroFit Design/Project
another option is to use gmocappy gui , this allows locking off the configuration screen under a password
amongst others

depending on your requirements of course

More
26 Oct 2013 04:29 #40297 by pmcstoneinc
Replied by pmcstoneinc on topic RetroFit Design/Project
Thanks guys, what about changing the the splash screen? Or am I asking too much? B)

More
26 Oct 2013 08:38 #40299 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic RetroFit Design/Project
Which splash-screen? You can change the machine-boot splash with utils from the motherboard supplier. But the LinuxCNC startup script just displays a file.
In fact it is the INTRO_GRAPHIC entry in the INI file and can be anything you want it to be.

More
26 Oct 2013 10:40 #40301 by pmcstoneinc
Thanks Andy. I am sure I will have more questions once I get all the hardware together. Thanks everyone again.

More
26 Oct 2013 16:46 #40304 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic RetroFit Design/Project

another option is to use gmocappy gui , this allows locking off the configuration screen under a password
amongst others

As this comes from my computer I would recommend that ;-)

Exactly therefor gmoccapy is made. There will be later on an option, that will halt the computer if the user exit the GUI, and all options and settings will be / are protected with password or even using a HAL pin connected to a key switch.

Norbert

More
26 Oct 2013 22:25 #40324 by pmcstoneinc
I got another question. I have seen that Mesa has an Ethernet board the 7i80 I did a little searching on this forum and it seems they do not have a released version of the firmware. Is this correct? This would be a prime candidate for a small/mini PC setup. Thoughts?

More
26 Oct 2013 23:33 #40326 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic RetroFit Design/Project
I think it is experimental at present

comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.devel/10871

PCW should be able to update exact situation

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds