Remote Desktop for monitoring

More
26 Oct 2013 07:55 - 26 Oct 2013 07:58 #40298 by JZHA1985
I have a garden shed that I've taken over, ran power to. and otherwise setup for my machine.
It house a smaller CNC machine that runs for hours at a time 3d profiling exotic hardwoods.
I'm curious how or if I can monitor or potentially remotely control the machine along with a webcam feed VIA a second linux box.
I know it can be done, but it seems the information is a bit scattered, and I'm not very Linux savvy.
Thanks for the help and sometime soon I'll post in the machine thread to show off my little setup :)
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 07:58 by JZHA1985.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2013 16:41 #40303 by newbynobi
you can try teamviewer
or you control the complete machine with linuxcncrsh.

Norbert

More
26 Oct 2013 18:12 #40309 by ArcEye
Hi

You will probably have to look at the options and see which suits best.
These are just some 'generic' linux / linuxcnc ones

1) Tight VNC
2) axis-remote
3) ssh - X
4) linuxcncrsh
5) Just a simple webcam to monitor the machine rather than linuxcnc
6) A combination of webcam and 1-4

It just depends what you need to do remotely.
Do you want complete control of the machine in the shed from your house, or just want to be able to see what it is doing and if necessary halt a program and walk down the garden to sort it out.

regards

More
27 Oct 2013 01:08 #40330 by JZHA1985
Thanks for the input guys.
I think being able to do Estop remotely is good enough since playing with feed-rates remotely isn't wise :)
A webcam feed would be nice to have so I can know if anything is going south, although I'm not sure where that puts latency figures at.

More
27 Oct 2013 08:41 #40337 by andypugh
I do this. Not often, but I do it.

If Remote Desktop is enabled on the CNC machine then it is just a case of using VNC. I use a Mac so don't need any extra software, the CNC machine pops up in the Finder (Bonjour / Avahi handle that) and I have the option to connect.

An IP security camera from eBay handles watching what is going on (simpler than a web cam running through the LinuxCNC machine)

More
27 Oct 2013 09:41 #40338 by JZHA1985
I will give it a shot shortly and see where that goes.
If it works the way I hope I'll be burying ethernet cable shortly :)

More
27 Oct 2013 18:19 #40343 by andypugh

I will give it a shot shortly and see where that goes.
If it works the way I hope I'll be burying ethernet cable shortly :)

My workshop network link is by Powerline. (also known as "Homeplug")

More
28 Oct 2013 00:40 - 28 Oct 2013 00:41 #40351 by JZHA1985
What limitations does it have I wonder?
My shed is connected to an outdoor GFI,
which goes through 100' of 12 gauge direct burial romex, goes through a 20 amp lightswitch, which finally reaches the shop.
I am thinking it's fine since it's far from being 1000' and it's not like I am using a noisy VFD or so forth.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 00:41 by JZHA1985.

More
29 Oct 2013 00:14 - 30 Oct 2013 16:01 #40371 by ArcEye
I too have powerline plugs down to a workshop 200 ft away.

The major thing is that the plug connected to your router must be plugged into a proper ring main, not a spur or extension lead and definately not a surge protected extension lead.

It is also worth experimenting with which socket you use in the workshop, I plug mine in the opposite side from my machines with a short return loop straight back to the distribution board
which gives better bandwidth than other ones by the machines (there is always some noise)

I had to fit a filter between my mill and the mains socket, because the VFD was putting noise into the system, but after that no problems, broadband full speed and
I am able to ssh into both workshop computers from the house and remotely back up or even run them if I wanted to.

Worth a try

regards
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 16:01 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.277 seconds