Need help with Origin/Z-out of limit fault

More
30 Oct 2013 22:04 #40417 by rmattioda
I am running a Probotix meteor using the latest version of EMC 2/V carve pro

I have been using the machine for some time with no issues, then just lately after I touch off-Z (0.0) I get an out of limit on Z axis when starting the machine, it does however give me the option to run anyway.

One thing that I have noted is that on my EMC screen it has a red dotted line which I always though represented the material and the thickness of it, which before was exact with the file I created in Vcarve pro.

Now since the out of limit fault the red simulation of material appears to be much thicker than the material that is being milled.

It seems to me that I may have messed up origins on the x axis somehow, can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2013 23:03 #40419 by ArcEye
The red dotted line represents the MIN_LIMIT= / MAX_LIMIT= for each axis.
It is basically the envelope within which you can work.

If you touch off at the uppermost extremity of the Z axis and then try to run code which contains a move to Z10 say, which is outside this envelope, you will get an error.

The best idea is to have a fixed home point and set your MIN/MAX-LIMIT for each axis to just short of the limit switches, or the extent of travel if you don't have limits, from that point
That way you should always be working within the envelope (unless you decide to touch off near an extremity for some reason).

On my small mill without home switches, I have alignment markers on each slideway to set a consistant home position.

regards

More
30 Oct 2013 23:41 - 30 Oct 2013 23:43 #40426 by rmattioda
How do you change the limits?

I guess what I am asking is:

the X IS at the top of the red box, how do I reset this so that it is on the bottom of the red outline.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 23:43 by rmattioda. Reason: add clarity to question

More
31 Oct 2013 15:52 - 31 Oct 2013 19:55 #40440 by ArcEye
You need to home the machine at an appropriate place and set the MAX/MIN_LIMIT in the ini file, so that it encompasses the working area you will use until just short of the limit switches.

On a lathe this home will be far right end of Z travel and top or bottom of X travel, depending if front tool or rear tool
On many mills it is bottom left of axis movements
On many gantry machines it may make more sense to home near the middle and have almost equal MIN and MAX limits, so that the envelope extends either side and all around

Then you need to touch off all axes at a point where they can make all the moves required, within the envelope.

It is not rocket science, just common sense. You would not touch off X at a place on the workpiece, where the axis travel will not allow you to complete the required cut.
You would move the workpice to a location on the bed where all required cuts are within the cutting envelope.
The dotted line is just a graphical representation of the movement allowed by your machine.

The current values in your .ini file may have been set in response to entries in stepconf, the significance of which was not obvious to you
Once you have established you home position, you can measure precisely the distances in the positive and negative travel of each axis and edit your ini file accordingly

Hope that clarifies

regards
Last edit: 31 Oct 2013 19:55 by ArcEye.

More
31 Oct 2013 20:54 #40451 by rmattioda
thanks for the help, appreciated

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds