Dual spindle router

More
18 Dec 2013 04:30 #41709 by guymalpass
Hi,
I have a moving gantry router with two spindles configured as a Z and W axis. Only one spindle operates at a time as they share one VFD that switches between the spindles using a contactor. Ultimately I would like to use the second spindle on the w-axis with a different tool to reduce tool changes. Currently I think the best way of achieving this would be using M6 somehow ? Get the post processor to recognise a tool change and then swap Z to W-axis and have linuxcnc activate the contactor and apply an offset for the tool.
Any thoughts and guidance would be much appreciated,
Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2013 04:56 #41712 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Dual spindle router
I would just G54 for one spindle and G55 for the second one.

Does each spindle move independent of the other one in the Z plane?

JT

More
18 Dec 2013 05:23 #41713 by guymalpass
Replied by guymalpass on topic Dual spindle router
Hi, so presumably I could get the post processor to put the G54 and G55 in which should work well. Yes the Z and W axis are independent but move together in the X and Y.

More
18 Dec 2013 18:52 #41748 by guymalpass
Also what is the best way of going about getting linuxcnc to operate the contactor at the tool change? Should I look towards classic ladder or sub routines etc?
Cheers

More
18 Dec 2013 19:57 #41750 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Dual spindle router
The easiest might be to use M1xx to turn the contactor on and off. For example you can look at the M100-199 section of the User Manual.

Another way would be to use a Digital Output for that look at M62/63.

And if you want to use Tn M6 as a tool change you can do that in Classicladder. I have a Tool Turret Simulator on my web site (at the bottom of the page) that you can run to see how the tool change is done in Classicladder.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/index.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: guymalpass

More
18 Dec 2013 21:27 #41759 by guymalpass
Cheers JT, great help! The last thing concerning me with this router was that it is only designed to operate within a certain work area, essentially so the spindles may overlap and work the same area. However this does mean if erroneous G-Code was written instructing a spindle to lower and work outside of this area the spindle could hit the frame of the router. Is there anything in Linuxcnc to prevent it following certain G-Code unless the relevant spindle is retracted ? Maybe this needs to be a new topic in itself.

More
18 Dec 2013 23:56 #41770 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Dual spindle router

Currently I think the best way of achieving this would be using M6 somehow ? Get the post processor to recognise a tool change and then swap Z to W-axis and have linuxcnc activate the contactor and apply an offset for the tool.

I think that should work.

Set up the tool table so that spindle 2 has an offset in X and Y such that the spindle axes align exactly.
Configure the INI so that TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION has Z and W both at the top of travel.
Use HAL logic so that if the T-word is even (or maybe just = 2) then the contactor is operated to power the second spindle.
Use more HAL logic (possibly) so that axis.2.motor-position-cmd is diverted to the second spindle axis (ie, all G-code used Z, rather than W)
The following user(s) said Thank You: guymalpass

More
18 Dec 2013 23:59 #41771 by andypugh
An old-school option just occurred to me. You could use physical switches such that only the VFD that isn't at the top of travel is connected to the VFD.

However, you need to be rather careful that you never swich spindles when the VFD is enabled, they don't like that.

More
19 Dec 2013 03:05 #41789 by guymalpass
Hi Andy, your HAL ideas sound good if it means I don't have to play around with the post processors! What are the thoughts on Linuxcnc recognising bad G-Code ie. at X0 only one spindle may travel as the other would collide with the gantry support? Or would it be standard practice just to verify the G-Code before hand?

More
19 Dec 2013 03:24 #41792 by andypugh

What are the thoughts on Linuxcnc recognising bad G-Code ie. at X0 only one spindle may travel as the other would collide with the gantry support?

I can't think of any software ways to do that, though some limit switches that are bypassed when each spindle is at the top of travel would at least prevent machine damage.

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds