Dual spindle router

More
19 Dec 2013 20:45 #41825 by guymalpass
Replied by guymalpass on topic Dual spindle router
No problem, I can draw the router in my CAM software and test for any collisions due to bad code that way. Thankyou for your input, I'll report back after playing with the HAL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2013 23:24 #41982 by guymalpass
UPDATE - I've managed to get the contactor swapping when T2 M6 occurs using Classicladder which also checks to make sure the VFD is switched off and I'm very happy with it! I'm now looking into to swapping the motor-pos-cmd so the W-axis (second spindle) uses the Z co-ordinates. However do you think I should build a new component that routes the motor-pos-cmd or try and edit the AXIS component? I'm worried that if the motor-pos-cmd is routed through a new component I may introduce timing issues.
Many thanks and Happy Christmas!
Guy

More
25 Dec 2013 05:16 #41994 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Dual spindle router

However do you think I should build a new component that routes the motor-pos-cmd or try and edit the AXIS component? I'm worried that if the motor-pos-cmd is routed through a new component I may introduce timing issues.

No reason to worry about timing, as long as the component runs at the right point in the thread.
But you can probably do it with a mux2 component for each axis. (possibly switched by an output from your CL)

More
03 Jan 2014 02:06 #42300 by guymalpass
UPDATE - Thanks Andy, I actually ended up using a demux which switches the motor position and position feedback for the Z and W axis. In order to stop ferror all I had to to do was set a tool change position so the Z and W were in the same position at tool change. Using the tool table works well for the X offset, but isn't ideal for the Z offset accounting for tool length. Ideally when tool 2 is selected any Z coordinates would be read by axis as W coordinates so you could touch off the tool. I thought this might be possible with a G-Code filter in the INI.....what do you think?

More
03 Jan 2014 05:18 #42303 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Dual spindle router

Ideally when tool 2 is selected any Z coordinates would be read by axis as W coordinates so you could touch off the tool. I thought this might be possible with a G-Code filter in the INI.....what do you think?

I haven't tried it, so I am not sure what the current behaviour is. You ought to be able to duplicate the Z offset in the W column of the tool table.
Do tools swap between the spindles?

More
03 Jan 2014 05:36 - 03 Jan 2014 05:38 #42304 by guymalpass

Do tools swap between the spindles?

Each spindle could have whatever tool is deemed necessary by the job. Typically one spindle would have a larger tool for roughing and the majority of finishing and then the other spindle would have a smaller tool for picking out remaining areas.

I am not sure what the current behaviour is

I used the demux to connect the Z motor position to the W stepgen at tool 2 so in AXIS all work is now done by Z and W is essentially unused. However I am jumping the gun slightly as I haven't had a play with the tool table yet so it may be more usable than I'm expecting when changing tools regularly.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2014 05:38 by guymalpass.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds